Nov 29, 2011, 10:24 AM EDT
Mike Green‘s injury status has been more of a mystery than anything of late in D.C. but there’s reason to be hopeful. Lost in the hoopla of Dale Hunter’s hiring and Bruce Boudreau’s firing yesterday, Green was back on the ice skating for the first time since he went out of action over two weeks ago with a strained groin.
As Katie Carrera of The Washington Post notes, Caps GM George McPhee isn’t putting any timetable on Green’s return to action, however.
Green’s absence since leaving a game against the Devils back on November 11 has been noticeable for the Caps as they’ve played listless hockey all during that time. Being without your top defenseman doesn’t help matters when you’re playing poorly, but obviously the Caps problems ran deeper than just missing Green. Still, getting a fully healthy Green makes the Caps a much better team and it helps get one of their weaker defensive links off the ice.
Sadly for the Caps, they’ve got a couple of them in Jeff Schultz and Roman Hamrlik. While Dmitry Orlov has spelled Schultz for a bit, Hamrlik’s poor play has been a huge letdown for Washington. Getting Green back will alleviate those issues but they’re not going to rush him.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)