Nov 29, 2011, 10:24 AM EDT
Mike Green‘s injury status has been more of a mystery than anything of late in D.C. but there’s reason to be hopeful. Lost in the hoopla of Dale Hunter’s hiring and Bruce Boudreau’s firing yesterday, Green was back on the ice skating for the first time since he went out of action over two weeks ago with a strained groin.
As Katie Carrera of The Washington Post notes, Caps GM George McPhee isn’t putting any timetable on Green’s return to action, however.
Green’s absence since leaving a game against the Devils back on November 11 has been noticeable for the Caps as they’ve played listless hockey all during that time. Being without your top defenseman doesn’t help matters when you’re playing poorly, but obviously the Caps problems ran deeper than just missing Green. Still, getting a fully healthy Green makes the Caps a much better team and it helps get one of their weaker defensive links off the ice.
Sadly for the Caps, they’ve got a couple of them in Jeff Schultz and Roman Hamrlik. While Dmitry Orlov has spelled Schultz for a bit, Hamrlik’s poor play has been a huge letdown for Washington. Getting Green back will alleviate those issues but they’re not going to rush him.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)