Nov 29, 2011, 10:24 AM EDT
Mike Green‘s injury status has been more of a mystery than anything of late in D.C. but there’s reason to be hopeful. Lost in the hoopla of Dale Hunter’s hiring and Bruce Boudreau’s firing yesterday, Green was back on the ice skating for the first time since he went out of action over two weeks ago with a strained groin.
As Katie Carrera of The Washington Post notes, Caps GM George McPhee isn’t putting any timetable on Green’s return to action, however.
Green’s absence since leaving a game against the Devils back on November 11 has been noticeable for the Caps as they’ve played listless hockey all during that time. Being without your top defenseman doesn’t help matters when you’re playing poorly, but obviously the Caps problems ran deeper than just missing Green. Still, getting a fully healthy Green makes the Caps a much better team and it helps get one of their weaker defensive links off the ice.
Sadly for the Caps, they’ve got a couple of them in Jeff Schultz and Roman Hamrlik. While Dmitry Orlov has spelled Schultz for a bit, Hamrlik’s poor play has been a huge letdown for Washington. Getting Green back will alleviate those issues but they’re not going to rush him.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games