Nov 29, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
Leave it to Nick Kypreos to keep the pot stirred on the rumor mill. Last night, Sportsnet’s Darren Millard tweeted that Kypreos heard from an NHL executive that Anaheim is shopping Bobby Ryan around to see what they could get in a deal for the former first round pick.
With coach Randy Carlyle still in good graces with management, making a trade of some kind to shake things up with the miserable Ducks (losers of 16 of their last 18) would make sense. For a team that’s lacking in offensive depth, however, trading Ryan on the surface doesn’t appear to make much sense. Looking deeper, however, perhaps there’s good reason.
There’s no secret that aside from offensive depth one of the other problems the Ducks have is on defense. There’s no stud defenseman here that’s capable of playing shutdown defense and while Lubomir Visnovsky is hurt, he’s a point producer and not a stopper. You’d have to think if Ryan is being shopped around that a top flight defenseman would be their target.
Will Ryan be traded? Impossible to say, but if Ryan is the guy that’s got Carlyle’s ire and Ducks GM Bob Murray is sticking with the coach, the Ducks should have no shortage of suitors for the 24 year-old star.
Question is, what would Anaheim want in return? A package involving a low-cost, high-potential defenseman and a prospect forward might be a good jumping off point. We’re sure that Leafs GM Brian Burke would love to get him since he’s the guy that drafted him in Anaheim years ago.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)