Nov 29, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
As Dale Hunter takes over behind the bench in Washington, his playing career has been well documented. Specifically, just about everyone has been reminded of the rather ugly incident back in the 1993 playoffs when Dale Hunter put his name in the hat for “dirtiest play of the last 20 years,” when he lit up Pierre Turgeon after a goal that effectively ended the Caps season.
Today, Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times got Turgeon’s thoughts on the Capitals’ most recent hire. His words may surprise you.
“That situation could’ve been a little different, but those things happen, and it happened. Then you move on,” Turgeon told the Washington Times. “There’s no grudge. I’m not holding anything against Dale. The only thing I could say is I wish him the best with Washington.”
For those who want a reminder, here’s what Turgeon was talking about when he said, ‘those things happen’:
Talk about a classy guy. Turgeon has more understanding than Mother Teresa at a shopping mall on Christmas Eve.
He went onto explain that he thinks the Caps will thrive under their new coach. “I’ve got the feeling he’s going to do very well. He’s been around hockey and he’s got a good hockey head,” Turgeon shared.
“I have no doubt he’s going to do well.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)