Nov 28, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
With two embattled head coaches out the door on the same Monday, it’s only natural to wonder who else might be on the hot seat. Considering raised expectations and their last place spot in the Eastern Conference, the New York Islanders are one of the most obvious teams worthy of a mention. Some look of the vote of confidence as a hex, but owner Charles Wang gave this response to New York Newsday regarding whether or not he believes in GM Garth Snow and head coach Jack Capuano.
“Yes,” Wang said. “It’s like anything in life — you embark on this journey and you have people around you that you put your faith in. It’s not just about Garth — it’s up to all of us. This is a team game, a team sport.”
That team hasn’t gotten the job done for a long time, though. To be honest, Snow hasn’t been all-bad in his tenure as Islanders GM, but the bottom line is that the team isn’t progressing as many hoped. One has to think that Snow and Capuano aren’t on the longest leashes, but Wang and the Islanders do things their own way.
Maybe one of these years that way will actually produce some results.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31