Nov 28, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
With two embattled head coaches out the door on the same Monday, it’s only natural to wonder who else might be on the hot seat. Considering raised expectations and their last place spot in the Eastern Conference, the New York Islanders are one of the most obvious teams worthy of a mention. Some look of the vote of confidence as a hex, but owner Charles Wang gave this response to New York Newsday regarding whether or not he believes in GM Garth Snow and head coach Jack Capuano.
“Yes,” Wang said. “It’s like anything in life — you embark on this journey and you have people around you that you put your faith in. It’s not just about Garth — it’s up to all of us. This is a team game, a team sport.”
That team hasn’t gotten the job done for a long time, though. To be honest, Snow hasn’t been all-bad in his tenure as Islanders GM, but the bottom line is that the team isn’t progressing as many hoped. One has to think that Snow and Capuano aren’t on the longest leashes, but Wang and the Islanders do things their own way.
Maybe one of these years that way will actually produce some results.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40