Nov 28, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
After tallying nine points (2G-7A), posting a league-high plus-7 rating, walking on water and multiplying loaves of bread, Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
It was a glorious return to action for No. 87. He scored on his first shot on goal in over 10 months and kept rolling from there, helping Pittsburgh secure seven of eight available points to finish atop the overall standings. Crosby even gave reporters a compelling soundbite when he went after Ottawa’s Nick Foligno. It was a good week.
Second star went to Vancouver Canucks backup netminder Cory Schneider. Wait, is he still considered the backup? ‘Cause he might not be for long. Schneider posted a perfect record with a 0.67 goals-against average and .978 save percentage with two shutouts. (Two more shutouts than Roberto Luongo has this year, in case you were wondering.) Schneider blanked the Avalanche and Coyotes and won his fourth straight by stopping 43 shots against the Sharks on Saturday.
And I know we just inundated you with numbers, but here are two more: 11 and 54. Those are the amount of years and millions of dollars left on Luongo’s contract.
Third star went to St. Louis goalie Brian Elliott. Like Schneider, Elliott is a backup that’s outplaying the starter (in the Blues’ case, Jaroslav Halak.) Elliott posted three consecutive victories with a 0.98 goals-against average, .963 save percentage and one shutout. Elliott also became the first goalie in over 70 years to allow two goals or fewer in his first 11 starts — one more and he matches Hockey Hall of Famer Frank Brimsek of the Boston Bruins, who began the 1938-39 season with 12.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 14
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 53
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights