Nov 28, 2011, 2:12 PM EST
After tallying nine points (2G-7A), posting a league-high plus-7 rating, walking on water and multiplying loaves of bread, Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
It was a glorious return to action for No. 87. He scored on his first shot on goal in over 10 months and kept rolling from there, helping Pittsburgh secure seven of eight available points to finish atop the overall standings. Crosby even gave reporters a compelling soundbite when he went after Ottawa’s Nick Foligno. It was a good week.
Second star went to Vancouver Canucks backup netminder Cory Schneider. Wait, is he still considered the backup? ‘Cause he might not be for long. Schneider posted a perfect record with a 0.67 goals-against average and .978 save percentage with two shutouts. (Two more shutouts than Roberto Luongo has this year, in case you were wondering.) Schneider blanked the Avalanche and Coyotes and won his fourth straight by stopping 43 shots against the Sharks on Saturday.
And I know we just inundated you with numbers, but here are two more: 11 and 54. Those are the amount of years and millions of dollars left on Luongo’s contract.
Third star went to St. Louis goalie Brian Elliott. Like Schneider, Elliott is a backup that’s outplaying the starter (in the Blues’ case, Jaroslav Halak.) Elliott posted three consecutive victories with a 0.98 goals-against average, .963 save percentage and one shutout. Elliott also became the first goalie in over 70 years to allow two goals or fewer in his first 11 starts — one more and he matches Hockey Hall of Famer Frank Brimsek of the Boston Bruins, who began the 1938-39 season with 12.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)