Nov 28, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers announced that defenseman Chris Pronger will undergo surgery on his right knee tomorrow and miss the next four weeks of action.
“The procedure will clean out some loose particles that have given Chris some problems over the last month or so,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “We were hopeful that the time missed with a virus that Chris has been fighting would settle things down in his knee, but after an examination yesterday, it was decided that the surgery is the way to go at this time.”
Oof. What a nightmare 2011 has been for Pronger’s health — just look at his injury calendar (courtesy TSN):
Jan. 20: Missed 13 games (right foot surgery)
Mar. 3: Missed one game (hand injury)
Apr. 24: Missed last 16 games of the regular season and five playoff games vs. Buffalo (right hand injury)
May. 5: Missed three playoff games vs. Boston (undisclosed).
Nov. 9: Missed six games (right eye injury).
And the virus Holmgren alluded to earlier has kept Pronger out of Philly’s last four contests.
All told, Pronger has missed 37 of Philly’s last 67 regular-season games. Pretty crazy. But what’s really crazy is that prior to this wretched injury string, Pronger hadn’t missed a game in two years. He played all 82 games in his last season in Anaheim and his first in Philadelphia — while averaging over 26 minutes per contest.
Oh, and just in case you’re wondering about tomorrow’s surgery date — four weeks from tomorrow will be Dec. 28. That would (theoretically) give Pronger four days of skating/practicing/playing before the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)