Nov 28, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
How do you think Anaheim’s Randy Carlyle is feeling today? After seeing two other head coaches with better records than he’s got this season (Bruce Boudreau and Paul Maurice) wind up getting fired today, you’d have to think that he’s not exactly feeling too cozy in southern California.
The Ducks have lost 16 of their last 18 as well as seven in a row now and are just one point ahead of Columbus for dead last in the Western Conference. A team with the reigning league MVP in Corey Perry as well as stars like Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, Bobby Ryan, and Jonas Hiller is playing about as miserable as any in the league.
Teams that do that poorly don’t generally stick by the head coach but in Anaheim, things are a little different. The Ducks locked Carlyle up to a three-year extension during the summer meaning that if they were to part ways with him, it’d cost the Ducks a kick in the wallet. Carlyle has won the franchise a Stanley Cup and while they’re struggling badly now, word from those on the inside is they’d rather not let Carlyle go.
If there’s something Anaheim needs badly it’s a stud defensive defenseman. Those are tough to come by though, but if there’s a deal willing to be made out there, Anaheim will explore the possibility. If there isn’t though, and the losses continue to mount, Ducks GM Bob Murray might not have any recourse other than to get a new coach in there to spark the team.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)