Nov 28, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
How do you think Anaheim’s Randy Carlyle is feeling today? After seeing two other head coaches with better records than he’s got this season (Bruce Boudreau and Paul Maurice) wind up getting fired today, you’d have to think that he’s not exactly feeling too cozy in southern California.
The Ducks have lost 16 of their last 18 as well as seven in a row now and are just one point ahead of Columbus for dead last in the Western Conference. A team with the reigning league MVP in Corey Perry as well as stars like Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, Bobby Ryan, and Jonas Hiller is playing about as miserable as any in the league.
Teams that do that poorly don’t generally stick by the head coach but in Anaheim, things are a little different. The Ducks locked Carlyle up to a three-year extension during the summer meaning that if they were to part ways with him, it’d cost the Ducks a kick in the wallet. Carlyle has won the franchise a Stanley Cup and while they’re struggling badly now, word from those on the inside is they’d rather not let Carlyle go.
If there’s something Anaheim needs badly it’s a stud defensive defenseman. Those are tough to come by though, but if there’s a deal willing to be made out there, Anaheim will explore the possibility. If there isn’t though, and the losses continue to mount, Ducks GM Bob Murray might not have any recourse other than to get a new coach in there to spark the team.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)