Nov 28, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals won’t be throwing all caution to the wind under new coach Dale Hunter.
“I don’t believe in run-and-gun hockey,” Hunter said today after practice.
According to the Washington Post, the Caps will be focusing on defensive responsibility under their new boss.
So much for a return to the freewheeling style that made the Capitals one of the most popular teams in the NHL.
Washington general manager George McPhee said earlier in the day that defense has been his team’s biggest problem this season.
“We’ve got to be good defensively,” McPhee said. “We haven’t been good defensively. That’s really my big issue right now. We’re just giving up too many goals.”
McPhee is right about that. The Capitals are surrendering 3.27 goals per game. Only Ottawa (3.39) has been worse at keeping the puck out of their net.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 1
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 6
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination