Nov 28, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals won’t be throwing all caution to the wind under new coach Dale Hunter.
“I don’t believe in run-and-gun hockey,” Hunter said today after practice.
According to the Washington Post, the Caps will be focusing on defensive responsibility under their new boss.
So much for a return to the freewheeling style that made the Capitals one of the most popular teams in the NHL.
Washington general manager George McPhee said earlier in the day that defense has been his team’s biggest problem this season.
“We’ve got to be good defensively,” McPhee said. “We haven’t been good defensively. That’s really my big issue right now. We’re just giving up too many goals.”
McPhee is right about that. The Capitals are surrendering 3.27 goals per game. Only Ottawa (3.39) has been worse at keeping the puck out of their net.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 54
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal