Nov 28, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
We spent a fair amount of time this weekend analyzing the injury Dallas goalie Kari Lehtonen suffered against Phoenix:
And it turns out we were right to do so. Today, Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan announced that Lehtonen will miss at least three weeks with a groin injury.
“Kari will be out at least three weeks,” Gulutzan said. “We got some good news on that front as far as the MRI. It’s not a high groin pull or anything; it’s kind of a low strain, low pull. Those tend to heal a little better, so we’re looking at the three-week mark before he can get going again.”
Lehtonen will miss at least eight games, including a five-game roadie through San Jose, Los Angeles, New York (Rangers and Isles) and New Jersey. It’s a huge loss for a Dallas team that’s 2-6-1 in its last eight and relied heavily — almost extensively — on Lehtonen this year. He’s recorded all 13 of Dallas’ wins and the guys tagged to replace him (Andrew Raycroft and AHL callup Richard Bachman) aren’t exactly high-caliber goalies. Raycroft hasn’t won a game since January while Bachman has just over nine minutes of NHL experience.
And as mentioned in the Nieuwendyk link above, there are no immediate plans for Dallas to acquire goaltending help.
“Andrew is our guy, and we have confidence in him, and Bachman with how he played in training camp and the preseason, has has earned the chance to get a good look,” Nieuwenduk said. “It’s a lot like the quarterback position. Nobody wants to see it, but these things happen and you just have to deal with it. I think you make a commitment to team play and to playing even harder in front of the goalie who is there.”
The QB analogy is a good one, but I wonder if Nieuwendyk saw what Chicago went through with Caleb Hanie on Sunday.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)