Nov 28, 2011, 8:19 PM EDT
There were a lot of surprises during the summer of 2011, but one of the most stunning developments came in what didn’t happen. Despite buckets of hype, Kirk Muller failed to land an NHL head coaching gig.
Instead, he settled for an assignment in the AHL with the Milwaukee Admirals. That ended up being the hockey equivalent of a dress rehearsal, though, as he only needed to wait 17 AHL games before the Carolina Hurricanes scooped him up. Read more about the hiring here, here and here or just watch the press conference to get a better feel for the former NHLer and new Canes coach.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5