Nov 28, 2011, 8:19 PM EDT
There were a lot of surprises during the summer of 2011, but one of the most stunning developments came in what didn’t happen. Despite buckets of hype, Kirk Muller failed to land an NHL head coaching gig.
Instead, he settled for an assignment in the AHL with the Milwaukee Admirals. That ended up being the hockey equivalent of a dress rehearsal, though, as he only needed to wait 17 AHL games before the Carolina Hurricanes scooped him up. Read more about the hiring here, here and here or just watch the press conference to get a better feel for the former NHLer and new Canes coach.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 2
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55