Nov 28, 2011, 10:49 AM EST
Bruce Boudreau getting swept out as head coach of the Caps this morning was probably not entirely shocking. After all, the Caps were coming off a string of bad losses capped off by a loss to a Buffalo team playing more minor leaguers than NHL players. The Caps are supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender and Boudreau wasn’t getting them there anymore.
If you’re feeling bad for Boudreau this morning though, you shouldn’t feel too down because the current state of coaching in the NHL suggests that if he wants another job in the NHL all he’ll need to do is wait a little bit. While Paul Maurice is out in Carolina with Kirk Muller likely to take over, there are other chances out there for Boudreau to potentially land.
Anaheim’s struggles have led to grumblings about how Randy Carlyle could wind up without a job there. Losing 16 of their last 18 games will do that. Columbus has fixed things up a bit lately with Scott Arniel, but given how the Blue Jackets’ lineup is set with a lot of veteran and young talent, it could be a solid spot for Boudreau to land there.
The same can be said of Calgary where Brent Sutter could also wind up out of a job. Of course the Flames’ problems run a bit deeper than just with the coach. Colorado is another place teeming over with young talent in need of a guy with skills to help younger players develops and Joe Sacco might not fit there much longer. The options are many if Boudreau wants to get back at it soon.
Boudreau is a good coach. He was the fastest coach to reach 200 career wins and he led the Caps to four division titles in his four years there. He’s got a Presidents’ Trophy to his credit and the Caps would not have evolved they way they have without him. Caps owner Ted Leonsis gives him all the credit in the world for where the team is at. There’s a need for a coach like that all over. He’ll be back.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)