Nov 28, 2011, 10:49 AM EDT
Bruce Boudreau getting swept out as head coach of the Caps this morning was probably not entirely shocking. After all, the Caps were coming off a string of bad losses capped off by a loss to a Buffalo team playing more minor leaguers than NHL players. The Caps are supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender and Boudreau wasn’t getting them there anymore.
If you’re feeling bad for Boudreau this morning though, you shouldn’t feel too down because the current state of coaching in the NHL suggests that if he wants another job in the NHL all he’ll need to do is wait a little bit. While Paul Maurice is out in Carolina with Kirk Muller likely to take over, there are other chances out there for Boudreau to potentially land.
Anaheim’s struggles have led to grumblings about how Randy Carlyle could wind up without a job there. Losing 16 of their last 18 games will do that. Columbus has fixed things up a bit lately with Scott Arniel, but given how the Blue Jackets’ lineup is set with a lot of veteran and young talent, it could be a solid spot for Boudreau to land there.
The same can be said of Calgary where Brent Sutter could also wind up out of a job. Of course the Flames’ problems run a bit deeper than just with the coach. Colorado is another place teeming over with young talent in need of a guy with skills to help younger players develops and Joe Sacco might not fit there much longer. The options are many if Boudreau wants to get back at it soon.
Boudreau is a good coach. He was the fastest coach to reach 200 career wins and he led the Caps to four division titles in his four years there. He’s got a Presidents’ Trophy to his credit and the Caps would not have evolved they way they have without him. Caps owner Ted Leonsis gives him all the credit in the world for where the team is at. There’s a need for a coach like that all over. He’ll be back.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 14
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 15
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39