Nov 28, 2011, 10:49 AM EDT
Bruce Boudreau getting swept out as head coach of the Caps this morning was probably not entirely shocking. After all, the Caps were coming off a string of bad losses capped off by a loss to a Buffalo team playing more minor leaguers than NHL players. The Caps are supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender and Boudreau wasn’t getting them there anymore.
If you’re feeling bad for Boudreau this morning though, you shouldn’t feel too down because the current state of coaching in the NHL suggests that if he wants another job in the NHL all he’ll need to do is wait a little bit. While Paul Maurice is out in Carolina with Kirk Muller likely to take over, there are other chances out there for Boudreau to potentially land.
Anaheim’s struggles have led to grumblings about how Randy Carlyle could wind up without a job there. Losing 16 of their last 18 games will do that. Columbus has fixed things up a bit lately with Scott Arniel, but given how the Blue Jackets’ lineup is set with a lot of veteran and young talent, it could be a solid spot for Boudreau to land there.
The same can be said of Calgary where Brent Sutter could also wind up out of a job. Of course the Flames’ problems run a bit deeper than just with the coach. Colorado is another place teeming over with young talent in need of a guy with skills to help younger players develops and Joe Sacco might not fit there much longer. The options are many if Boudreau wants to get back at it soon.
Boudreau is a good coach. He was the fastest coach to reach 200 career wins and he led the Caps to four division titles in his four years there. He’s got a Presidents’ Trophy to his credit and the Caps would not have evolved they way they have without him. Caps owner Ted Leonsis gives him all the credit in the world for where the team is at. There’s a need for a coach like that all over. He’ll be back.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)