Nov 28, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Many people claim that the Pittsburgh Penguins-Washington Capitals rivalry is fabricated, but the lack of a post-game handshake in the 2011 Winter Classic showed that they certainly don’t love each other. The 2012 Winter Classic has the potential to get significantly nastier, though; at least if the chirping between New York Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky and Philadelphia Flyers fighter Jody Shelley is any indication.
After Shelley called Dubinsky a “weasel,” Dubinsky cut to the core of Shelley’s hockey being. Here’s the highlights of what he said, via ESPN New York’s Katie Strang:
“It won’t be long before he’s out of the league, because he’s a terrible hockey player,” Dubinsky said. “First of all, if I [were] him, I’d keep my mouth shut if I don’t play, especially since I never see him on the ice. He’s usually just yapping from the bench, and I guess now he’s yapping from behind the video camera. So that’s about all I have to say.”
That actually wasn’t all Dubinsky had to say, though. He apparently called Zac Rinaldo “an idiot” and said, “He’s not really a good hockey player … they should keep putting him on the ice because he’s a liability against us.”
Judging from those spicy quotes, it seems clear that at least one Ranger won’t just spout cliches at the HBO cameras. The most surprising part is that Shelley was once a teammate of his, although Dubinsky might contend that he was only a part-timer.
Either way, Dubinsky is rattling the cage of some dangerous Flyers, which should be a lot more fun for the hockey-viewing public than anyone on the ice.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 3
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 5
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 35
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)