Nov 28, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Many people claim that the Pittsburgh Penguins-Washington Capitals rivalry is fabricated, but the lack of a post-game handshake in the 2011 Winter Classic showed that they certainly don’t love each other. The 2012 Winter Classic has the potential to get significantly nastier, though; at least if the chirping between New York Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky and Philadelphia Flyers fighter Jody Shelley is any indication.
After Shelley called Dubinsky a “weasel,” Dubinsky cut to the core of Shelley’s hockey being. Here’s the highlights of what he said, via ESPN New York’s Katie Strang:
“It won’t be long before he’s out of the league, because he’s a terrible hockey player,” Dubinsky said. “First of all, if I [were] him, I’d keep my mouth shut if I don’t play, especially since I never see him on the ice. He’s usually just yapping from the bench, and I guess now he’s yapping from behind the video camera. So that’s about all I have to say.”
That actually wasn’t all Dubinsky had to say, though. He apparently called Zac Rinaldo “an idiot” and said, “He’s not really a good hockey player … they should keep putting him on the ice because he’s a liability against us.”
Judging from those spicy quotes, it seems clear that at least one Ranger won’t just spout cliches at the HBO cameras. The most surprising part is that Shelley was once a teammate of his, although Dubinsky might contend that he was only a part-timer.
Either way, Dubinsky is rattling the cage of some dangerous Flyers, which should be a lot more fun for the hockey-viewing public than anyone on the ice.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 11
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)