Nov 28, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Many people claim that the Pittsburgh Penguins-Washington Capitals rivalry is fabricated, but the lack of a post-game handshake in the 2011 Winter Classic showed that they certainly don’t love each other. The 2012 Winter Classic has the potential to get significantly nastier, though; at least if the chirping between New York Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky and Philadelphia Flyers fighter Jody Shelley is any indication.
After Shelley called Dubinsky a “weasel,” Dubinsky cut to the core of Shelley’s hockey being. Here’s the highlights of what he said, via ESPN New York’s Katie Strang:
“It won’t be long before he’s out of the league, because he’s a terrible hockey player,” Dubinsky said. “First of all, if I [were] him, I’d keep my mouth shut if I don’t play, especially since I never see him on the ice. He’s usually just yapping from the bench, and I guess now he’s yapping from behind the video camera. So that’s about all I have to say.”
That actually wasn’t all Dubinsky had to say, though. He apparently called Zac Rinaldo “an idiot” and said, “He’s not really a good hockey player … they should keep putting him on the ice because he’s a liability against us.”
Judging from those spicy quotes, it seems clear that at least one Ranger won’t just spout cliches at the HBO cameras. The most surprising part is that Shelley was once a teammate of his, although Dubinsky might contend that he was only a part-timer.
Either way, Dubinsky is rattling the cage of some dangerous Flyers, which should be a lot more fun for the hockey-viewing public than anyone on the ice.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)