Nov 28, 2011, 11:52 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are resisting the urge to panic, even if the concept of rolling with Andrew Raycroft could cause some nervousness. The former Calder Trophy winner was almost perfect against the Colorado Avalanche, though, as he allowed just one goal on 36 shots.
Raycroft was less than four minutes away from a rare shutout, but Kevin Porter hammered home a rebound to ruin what would have been an even better story.
Still, the Stars will take the two points and at least a temporary lead in the Pacific Division (the San Jose Sharks could re-claim the top spot with a win against the Los Angeles Kings tonight). After five sometimes-hard-luck games, Raycroft earned his first win of the 2011-12 season at a moment when they probably needed it the most.
Kari Lehtonen is likely to miss at least seven additional games (and perhaps more). That means that the jury is still out on whether or not Raycroft can carry the load, but so far, so good.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 43
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1