Nov 27, 2011, 6:53 PM EST
When Dallas put goalie Kari Lehtonen on injured reserve today, many assumed the next move would be to acquire his replacement.
Not so, says Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk.
In speaking with Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, Nieuwendyk said that rather than look for goaltending help via trade, he’ll turn the reigns over to his No. 2 and 3 — Andrew Raycroft and the recently-recalled Richard Bachman.
“Andrew is our guy, and we have confidence in him, and Bachman with how he played in training camp and the preseason, has has earned the chance to get a good look,” Nieuwenduk said. “It’s a lot like the quarterback position. Nobody wants to see it, but these things happen and you just have to deal with it. I think you make a commitment to team play and to playing even harder in front of the goalie who is there.”
This decision caught some by surprise. The Stars have relied heavily on their No. 1 goalie (Lehtnonen has all 13 of their wins), perhaps more than any other NHL club. Lehtonen was Dallas’ MVP through the quarter mark of the season and, it could be argued, one of the league’s most valuable as well.
And this is why all eyes will be on Raycroft. He’s one of the least-used backups in hockey (four starts) and his numbers — 0-5, 3.50 GAA, .899 save percentage — don’t exactly scream “ready for a starting gig.” His last win was Jan. 9 against Minnesota, in case you’re wondering.
Do keep in mind that Lehtonen going on IR means he might only miss the minimum seven days. But with his vast injury history — he’s missed almost 90 games since the lockout with back, groin and ankle issues — it’s possible he could be on the shelf for an extended period of time.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)