Nov 27, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
What a mess in Texas.
Today, the Stars announced that goalie Kari Lehtonen has been placed on injured reserve after suffering a groin injury in last night’s 3-0 loss to Phoenix. (Though depending on what source you link to, it could also be a right knee problem.)
By going on IR, Lehtonen will miss at least the next two games — Monday at Colorado, Thursday at home against Ottawa — and given his injury history, it could be a lot longer. Since the lockout, Lehtonen has missed almost 90 games with back, groin and ankle issues.
This is just the latest in a rash of killer injuries for the Stars. Captain Brenden Morrow (upper body) is also on IR, along with Adam Burish (broken hand) and Alex Goligoski (broken thumb). Defenseman Trevor Daley (back) and center Vernon Fiddler (groin) also were injured in the Phoenix game — after the contest, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said Daley was considered unlikely to play Monday and Fiddler was considered day-to-day.
The question now is if the Stars can stay afloat — and early returns suggest they can’t. Dallas is 2-6-1 in its last eight and its lack of depth is being exposed. Richard Bachman and left wing Francis Wathier have been recalled from the Texas of the AHL, joining a roster that already features the likes of Philip Larsen (23:23 of ice last night), Tomas Vincour, Tom Wandell, Toby Petersen and Jake Dowell.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)