Nov 27, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
What a mess in Texas.
Today, the Stars announced that goalie Kari Lehtonen has been placed on injured reserve after suffering a groin injury in last night’s 3-0 loss to Phoenix. (Though depending on what source you link to, it could also be a right knee problem.)
By going on IR, Lehtonen will miss at least the next two games — Monday at Colorado, Thursday at home against Ottawa — and given his injury history, it could be a lot longer. Since the lockout, Lehtonen has missed almost 90 games with back, groin and ankle issues.
This is just the latest in a rash of killer injuries for the Stars. Captain Brenden Morrow (upper body) is also on IR, along with Adam Burish (broken hand) and Alex Goligoski (broken thumb). Defenseman Trevor Daley (back) and center Vernon Fiddler (groin) also were injured in the Phoenix game — after the contest, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said Daley was considered unlikely to play Monday and Fiddler was considered day-to-day.
The question now is if the Stars can stay afloat — and early returns suggest they can’t. Dallas is 2-6-1 in its last eight and its lack of depth is being exposed. Richard Bachman and left wing Francis Wathier have been recalled from the Texas of the AHL, joining a roster that already features the likes of Philip Larsen (23:23 of ice last night), Tomas Vincour, Tom Wandell, Toby Petersen and Jake Dowell.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 1
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 19
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 91
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (91)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)