Nov 27, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
What a mess in Texas.
Today, the Stars announced that goalie Kari Lehtonen has been placed on injured reserve after suffering a groin injury in last night’s 3-0 loss to Phoenix. (Though depending on what source you link to, it could also be a right knee problem.)
By going on IR, Lehtonen will miss at least the next two games — Monday at Colorado, Thursday at home against Ottawa — and given his injury history, it could be a lot longer. Since the lockout, Lehtonen has missed almost 90 games with back, groin and ankle issues.
This is just the latest in a rash of killer injuries for the Stars. Captain Brenden Morrow (upper body) is also on IR, along with Adam Burish (broken hand) and Alex Goligoski (broken thumb). Defenseman Trevor Daley (back) and center Vernon Fiddler (groin) also were injured in the Phoenix game — after the contest, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said Daley was considered unlikely to play Monday and Fiddler was considered day-to-day.
The question now is if the Stars can stay afloat — and early returns suggest they can’t. Dallas is 2-6-1 in its last eight and its lack of depth is being exposed. Richard Bachman and left wing Francis Wathier have been recalled from the Texas of the AHL, joining a roster that already features the likes of Philip Larsen (23:23 of ice last night), Tomas Vincour, Tom Wandell, Toby Petersen and Jake Dowell.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)