Nov 27, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler is listed as day-to-day after getting nailed by San Jose’s Jamie McGinn last night. Edler left the contest late in the second period of Vancouver’s 3-2 win and didn’t return, with early speculation being a shoulder injury.
The hit was notable for two reasons. One, Edler has emerged as Vancouver’s top blueliner this season, leading all defensemen in scoring and ice time.
Two, it was another notch in McGinn’s belt.
As Iain MacIntrye of the Vancouver Sun explains (in a piece entitled “Edler out after hit by Canuck-hunter McGinn”), the third-year pro has quite the history with Vancouver:
Edler was hit hard shoulder-to-shoulder by Jamie McGinn in a race to the puck near the corner.
Edler dropped his stick, skated immediately to the bench and was hunched over in obvious discomfort in the final minute of the second period. He did not return for the third period.
“Just got a big hit there at the end of the second period,” Vigneault said. “Upper body and he’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow.”
The most heinous of McGinn’s hits was on Rome, which netted him a five-minute major and game misconduct:
Today, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area caught up with McGinn and asked him about the Canuck hunter tag and last night’s hit on Edler.
“I’m just finishing my checks. I never want anyone to get hurt, and I try and play a real clean game,” he said. “I think it was one of those ones where we’re both just running into each other. I didn’t realize he was hurt after; I just kind of kept going. It’s never a good thing when someone goes out to injury, but that’s just the way I play. I just try and play hard-nosed.
“It kind of continued on from playoffs. It was a physical game and a high-paced game.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)