Nov 27, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler is listed as day-to-day after getting nailed by San Jose’s Jamie McGinn last night. Edler left the contest late in the second period of Vancouver’s 3-2 win and didn’t return, with early speculation being a shoulder injury.
The hit was notable for two reasons. One, Edler has emerged as Vancouver’s top blueliner this season, leading all defensemen in scoring and ice time.
Two, it was another notch in McGinn’s belt.
As Iain MacIntrye of the Vancouver Sun explains (in a piece entitled “Edler out after hit by Canuck-hunter McGinn”), the third-year pro has quite the history with Vancouver:
Edler was hit hard shoulder-to-shoulder by Jamie McGinn in a race to the puck near the corner.
Edler dropped his stick, skated immediately to the bench and was hunched over in obvious discomfort in the final minute of the second period. He did not return for the third period.
“Just got a big hit there at the end of the second period,” Vigneault said. “Upper body and he’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow.”
The most heinous of McGinn’s hits was on Rome, which netted him a five-minute major and game misconduct:
Today, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area caught up with McGinn and asked him about the Canuck hunter tag and last night’s hit on Edler.
“I’m just finishing my checks. I never want anyone to get hurt, and I try and play a real clean game,” he said. “I think it was one of those ones where we’re both just running into each other. I didn’t realize he was hurt after; I just kind of kept going. It’s never a good thing when someone goes out to injury, but that’s just the way I play. I just try and play hard-nosed.
“It kind of continued on from playoffs. It was a physical game and a high-paced game.”
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)