Nov 27, 2011, 11:04 PM EST
The Twitter machine is ablaze this evening with rumors that Washington Capitals head coach Bruce Boudreau will be fired in the next 24-48 hours.
Sparking the fire was Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. On the Sunday edition of Hockey Central, Kypreos and host Scott Morrison were speaking about the Caps, who are 3-7-1 over their last 11 games and fresh off a 5-1 pasting at the hands of Buffalo.
“A lot of speculation something could happen in the next 24-48 hours,” Kypreos said. “The name being thrown out there is ex-Washington Capital, a centerman of mine, Dale Hunter.”
Hunter is a Caps icon — his No. 32 was retired in 2000, along with the penalty box from the old Capital Centre (Hunter is the only NHL player ever to score over 1,000 points and rack up over 3,000 penalty minutes.) But he’s also the current coach and co-owner of the OHL’s London Knights, a position he’s held for the last 10 years.
That could be an issue, according to Kypreos. “Question is whether he [Hunter] would leave his junior program in London, which is off to a great start, in midseason to take this job,” he told Hockey Central.
Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times reached out to Capitals spokesman Sergey Kocharov via email for reaction.
“Not true,” Kocharov replied. “Just speculation.”
Of note: There was some confusion this evening as a Kypreos imposter Twitter account (RealKyper_) tweeted the Boudreau rumor (but taking it a step further, saying Boudreau was fired) within minutes of Kypreos saying it on Sportsnet. This led many to believe that the original rumor was fake. Which is was not.
So, to clarify: Real Nick Kypreos broke the Boudreau rumor on Sportsnet’s Hockey Central this evening. Fake Twitter Nick Kypreos tweeted a follow-up, which cast doubt on its authenticity. (Full marks to Whyno at the Washington Times for getting tape from Sportsnet and transcribing the audio, verifying real Nick Kypreos actually broke the Boudreau rumor on air.)
Isn’t social media fun?
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)