Nov 27, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
The Nikita Filatov saga took another turn today as the Ottawa Senators recalled him from AHL Binghamton.
Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes reports Filatov will play on one of Ottawa’s top two lines tonight versus Carolina, an interesting decision given what’s transpired recently. Filatov had threatened to return to the KHL rather than play out the year in Bingo, prompting Ottawa GM Bryan Murray to say the following:
“I told him when I put him down (to Binghamton), that by Nov. 30, I would have a meeting with him,” Murray told the Ottawa Citizen. “It would be (about whether) to come back and get another chance to play up here or I would consider – and that’s the big word, I would consider – allowing him to go back to the KHL.
“By Nov. 30, I will tell him he’s in Binghamton for the rest of the year or he’s in Ottawa for the rest of the year or a combination of the two or I would let him go back and play (in Russia). But it will be what we decide.”
So three days prior to the magical Nov. 30 deadline, Murray gives Filatov a shot to prove himself.
Check that — another shot.
It looks like Filatov will play one of two spots against the ‘Canes. He’ll either be a first-line winger with Jason Spezza and Milan Michalek, or drop to the second unit and play alongside Daniel Alfredsson and Nick Foligno.
Whatever the case, there’ll be immediate pressure for him to replicate his success with Binghamton (7G-5A-12PTS in 15 games played.)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)