Nov 27, 2011, 3:16 PM EST
The Nikita Filatov saga took another turn today as the Ottawa Senators recalled him from AHL Binghamton.
Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes reports Filatov will play on one of Ottawa’s top two lines tonight versus Carolina, an interesting decision given what’s transpired recently. Filatov had threatened to return to the KHL rather than play out the year in Bingo, prompting Ottawa GM Bryan Murray to say the following:
“I told him when I put him down (to Binghamton), that by Nov. 30, I would have a meeting with him,” Murray told the Ottawa Citizen. “It would be (about whether) to come back and get another chance to play up here or I would consider – and that’s the big word, I would consider – allowing him to go back to the KHL.
“By Nov. 30, I will tell him he’s in Binghamton for the rest of the year or he’s in Ottawa for the rest of the year or a combination of the two or I would let him go back and play (in Russia). But it will be what we decide.”
So three days prior to the magical Nov. 30 deadline, Murray gives Filatov a shot to prove himself.
Check that — another shot.
It looks like Filatov will play one of two spots against the ‘Canes. He’ll either be a first-line winger with Jason Spezza and Milan Michalek, or drop to the second unit and play alongside Daniel Alfredsson and Nick Foligno.
Whatever the case, there’ll be immediate pressure for him to replicate his success with Binghamton (7G-5A-12PTS in 15 games played.)
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)