Nov 27, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Some good news and bad news today following last night’s scary Patrick Eaves incident.
Late in Detroit’s 4-1 win over Nashville, Eaves took a Roman Josi slapper to the side of the head. The Red Wings forward laid motionless on the ice before being carter off on a stretcher:
The good news is Eaves regained consciousness and was stable after staying overnight at the Detroit Medical Center.
The bad news is he didn’t escape injury.
Eaves suffered a broken jaw on the play, will undergo surgery for repair and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. That’s the initial timetable suggested by Red Wings GM Ken Holland, anyway. “We’ll know more after he’s had the surgery,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “But Danny Cleary had a broken jaw, Brad Stuart, and that’s about the time they missed.”
NB: Josi spoke with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean about the incident, which occurred in Josi’s NHL debut.
“We were on PP, and I gave it to (Jonathon Blum) and (Blum) gave it back and I wanted to get it to net and one-time it. It’s too bad I hit him. I hope he’s all right and he’s going to be fine,” Josi said.”You never want to see a player going down and taken off on a stretcher. I felt bad. I just tried to get it to the net and hope he’s all right.
“I said sorry, he said it’s all right and that I hope it’s going to be fine.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)