Nov 27, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Some good news and bad news today following last night’s scary Patrick Eaves incident.
Late in Detroit’s 4-1 win over Nashville, Eaves took a Roman Josi slapper to the side of the head. The Red Wings forward laid motionless on the ice before being carter off on a stretcher:
The good news is Eaves regained consciousness and was stable after staying overnight at the Detroit Medical Center.
The bad news is he didn’t escape injury.
Eaves suffered a broken jaw on the play, will undergo surgery for repair and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. That’s the initial timetable suggested by Red Wings GM Ken Holland, anyway. “We’ll know more after he’s had the surgery,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “But Danny Cleary had a broken jaw, Brad Stuart, and that’s about the time they missed.”
NB: Josi spoke with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean about the incident, which occurred in Josi’s NHL debut.
“We were on PP, and I gave it to (Jonathon Blum) and (Blum) gave it back and I wanted to get it to net and one-time it. It’s too bad I hit him. I hope he’s all right and he’s going to be fine,” Josi said.”You never want to see a player going down and taken off on a stretcher. I felt bad. I just tried to get it to the net and hope he’s all right.
“I said sorry, he said it’s all right and that I hope it’s going to be fine.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)