Nov 27, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Some good news and bad news today following last night’s scary Patrick Eaves incident.
Late in Detroit’s 4-1 win over Nashville, Eaves took a Roman Josi slapper to the side of the head. The Red Wings forward laid motionless on the ice before being carter off on a stretcher:
The good news is Eaves regained consciousness and was stable after staying overnight at the Detroit Medical Center.
The bad news is he didn’t escape injury.
Eaves suffered a broken jaw on the play, will undergo surgery for repair and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. That’s the initial timetable suggested by Red Wings GM Ken Holland, anyway. “We’ll know more after he’s had the surgery,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “But Danny Cleary had a broken jaw, Brad Stuart, and that’s about the time they missed.”
NB: Josi spoke with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean about the incident, which occurred in Josi’s NHL debut.
“We were on PP, and I gave it to (Jonathon Blum) and (Blum) gave it back and I wanted to get it to net and one-time it. It’s too bad I hit him. I hope he’s all right and he’s going to be fine,” Josi said.”You never want to see a player going down and taken off on a stretcher. I felt bad. I just tried to get it to the net and hope he’s all right.
“I said sorry, he said it’s all right and that I hope it’s going to be fine.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)