Nov 27, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Some good news and bad news today following last night’s scary Patrick Eaves incident.
Late in Detroit’s 4-1 win over Nashville, Eaves took a Roman Josi slapper to the side of the head. The Red Wings forward laid motionless on the ice before being carter off on a stretcher:
The good news is Eaves regained consciousness and was stable after staying overnight at the Detroit Medical Center.
The bad news is he didn’t escape injury.
Eaves suffered a broken jaw on the play, will undergo surgery for repair and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. That’s the initial timetable suggested by Red Wings GM Ken Holland, anyway. “We’ll know more after he’s had the surgery,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “But Danny Cleary had a broken jaw, Brad Stuart, and that’s about the time they missed.”
NB: Josi spoke with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean about the incident, which occurred in Josi’s NHL debut.
“We were on PP, and I gave it to (Jonathon Blum) and (Blum) gave it back and I wanted to get it to net and one-time it. It’s too bad I hit him. I hope he’s all right and he’s going to be fine,” Josi said.”You never want to see a player going down and taken off on a stretcher. I felt bad. I just tried to get it to the net and hope he’s all right.
“I said sorry, he said it’s all right and that I hope it’s going to be fine.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32