Nov 27, 2011, 1:01 AM EDT
Is Cory Schneider the Vancouver Canucks’ new top goalie? That might the question dominating many bars in the Vancouver area, but Alain Vigneault probably cares most about the here-and-now. Let’s just say the present is looking awfully good.
Schneider reeled off his fourth consecutive win by subduing an attacking San Jose Sharks team. The red-haired netminder made 43 saves as the Canucks managed to cling to a 3-2 win. Jeff Paterson reveals that Schneider now has a 97.5 percent save percentage during this streak, allowing just three goals in four phenomenal games.
As Joe points out, Roberto Luongo is likely the long-term guy in Vancouver. Whether that’s because he has the long-term contract or not is open to debate, but the bottom line is that Schneider is one of – if not the – best backups in the NHL, so why not take advantage of a hot streak?
Schneider will be a restricted free agent next summer, so everyone can potentially win (the Canucks, his accountant, his agent, etc). If the Canucks face a more expensive version of the Montreal Canadiens’ Jaroslav Halak vs. Carey Price situation when July 2012 comes, then that’s a better problem to have than owning zero NHL-caliber goalies overall.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)