Nov 27, 2011, 1:01 AM EST
Is Cory Schneider the Vancouver Canucks’ new top goalie? That might the question dominating many bars in the Vancouver area, but Alain Vigneault probably cares most about the here-and-now. Let’s just say the present is looking awfully good.
Schneider reeled off his fourth consecutive win by subduing an attacking San Jose Sharks team. The red-haired netminder made 43 saves as the Canucks managed to cling to a 3-2 win. Jeff Paterson reveals that Schneider now has a 97.5 percent save percentage during this streak, allowing just three goals in four phenomenal games.
As Joe points out, Roberto Luongo is likely the long-term guy in Vancouver. Whether that’s because he has the long-term contract or not is open to debate, but the bottom line is that Schneider is one of – if not the – best backups in the NHL, so why not take advantage of a hot streak?
Schneider will be a restricted free agent next summer, so everyone can potentially win (the Canucks, his accountant, his agent, etc). If the Canucks face a more expensive version of the Montreal Canadiens’ Jaroslav Halak vs. Carey Price situation when July 2012 comes, then that’s a better problem to have than owning zero NHL-caliber goalies overall.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)