Nov 27, 2011, 1:01 AM EDT
Is Cory Schneider the Vancouver Canucks’ new top goalie? That might the question dominating many bars in the Vancouver area, but Alain Vigneault probably cares most about the here-and-now. Let’s just say the present is looking awfully good.
Schneider reeled off his fourth consecutive win by subduing an attacking San Jose Sharks team. The red-haired netminder made 43 saves as the Canucks managed to cling to a 3-2 win. Jeff Paterson reveals that Schneider now has a 97.5 percent save percentage during this streak, allowing just three goals in four phenomenal games.
As Joe points out, Roberto Luongo is likely the long-term guy in Vancouver. Whether that’s because he has the long-term contract or not is open to debate, but the bottom line is that Schneider is one of – if not the – best backups in the NHL, so why not take advantage of a hot streak?
Schneider will be a restricted free agent next summer, so everyone can potentially win (the Canucks, his accountant, his agent, etc). If the Canucks face a more expensive version of the Montreal Canadiens’ Jaroslav Halak vs. Carey Price situation when July 2012 comes, then that’s a better problem to have than owning zero NHL-caliber goalies overall.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 8
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 20
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 10
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 64
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination