Nov 26, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
Zach Parise thought he scored the game-tying goal with just two seconds left against the Islanders. After all, he crashed the net peppered away at the puck and had it glance off his skate and past Al Montoya.
As it turns out, the NHL war room in Toronto saw things just a bit differently and ruled that he directed the puck into the net with his skate, wiping away the goal and giving the Islanders a 3-2 win in New Jersey. As you might imagine, that ruling didn’t sit too well with Devils captain Parise.
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice hears the protests from Parise after a tough loss.
“A tight game like that where we worked to get back into it and they make the wrong call.”
“I just watched it and I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with it,” Parise said. “I knew it hit off my skate. I knew it hit off my stick too, but if that’s a kicking motion, then I don’t know.”
While the Isles were happy to see the decision work for them, the play itself is highly dubious. Check out the video and see for yourself.
The NHL situation room said they waved off the goal because Parise used his skate to propel the puck to the net. The rule book is written saying that a “distinct kicking motion” cannot be used to put the puck in the net. It would seem the NHL went outside of their rules to wipe this goal out. What do you think though?
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)