Nov 26, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
Zach Parise thought he scored the game-tying goal with just two seconds left against the Islanders. After all, he crashed the net peppered away at the puck and had it glance off his skate and past Al Montoya.
As it turns out, the NHL war room in Toronto saw things just a bit differently and ruled that he directed the puck into the net with his skate, wiping away the goal and giving the Islanders a 3-2 win in New Jersey. As you might imagine, that ruling didn’t sit too well with Devils captain Parise.
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice hears the protests from Parise after a tough loss.
“A tight game like that where we worked to get back into it and they make the wrong call.”
“I just watched it and I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with it,” Parise said. “I knew it hit off my skate. I knew it hit off my stick too, but if that’s a kicking motion, then I don’t know.”
While the Isles were happy to see the decision work for them, the play itself is highly dubious. Check out the video and see for yourself.
The NHL situation room said they waved off the goal because Parise used his skate to propel the puck to the net. The rule book is written saying that a “distinct kicking motion” cannot be used to put the puck in the net. It would seem the NHL went outside of their rules to wipe this goal out. What do you think though?
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)