Nov 26, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
Zach Parise thought he scored the game-tying goal with just two seconds left against the Islanders. After all, he crashed the net peppered away at the puck and had it glance off his skate and past Al Montoya.
As it turns out, the NHL war room in Toronto saw things just a bit differently and ruled that he directed the puck into the net with his skate, wiping away the goal and giving the Islanders a 3-2 win in New Jersey. As you might imagine, that ruling didn’t sit too well with Devils captain Parise.
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice hears the protests from Parise after a tough loss.
“A tight game like that where we worked to get back into it and they make the wrong call.”
“I just watched it and I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with it,” Parise said. “I knew it hit off my skate. I knew it hit off my stick too, but if that’s a kicking motion, then I don’t know.”
While the Isles were happy to see the decision work for them, the play itself is highly dubious. Check out the video and see for yourself.
The NHL situation room said they waved off the goal because Parise used his skate to propel the puck to the net. The rule book is written saying that a “distinct kicking motion” cannot be used to put the puck in the net. It would seem the NHL went outside of their rules to wipe this goal out. What do you think though?
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)