Nov 26, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
Zach Parise thought he scored the game-tying goal with just two seconds left against the Islanders. After all, he crashed the net peppered away at the puck and had it glance off his skate and past Al Montoya.
As it turns out, the NHL war room in Toronto saw things just a bit differently and ruled that he directed the puck into the net with his skate, wiping away the goal and giving the Islanders a 3-2 win in New Jersey. As you might imagine, that ruling didn’t sit too well with Devils captain Parise.
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice hears the protests from Parise after a tough loss.
“A tight game like that where we worked to get back into it and they make the wrong call.”
“I just watched it and I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with it,” Parise said. “I knew it hit off my skate. I knew it hit off my stick too, but if that’s a kicking motion, then I don’t know.”
While the Isles were happy to see the decision work for them, the play itself is highly dubious. Check out the video and see for yourself.
The NHL situation room said they waved off the goal because Parise used his skate to propel the puck to the net. The rule book is written saying that a “distinct kicking motion” cannot be used to put the puck in the net. It would seem the NHL went outside of their rules to wipe this goal out. What do you think though?
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)