‘Visibly annoyed’ Bylsma responds to Foligno’s Crosby critique

Nov 26, 2011, 9:36 PM EDT

bylsmapencap AP

Sidney Crosby‘s elbow on Nick Foligno didn’t net any discipline from Brendan Shanahan, but it produced quite a bit of debate around the NHL. Foligno more or less called Crosby a hypocrite for doing the exact thing he railed against during his recovery: delivering a hit to the head. (Feel free to agree or disagree about that in the comments.)

NHL.com’s Arpon Basu reports that Dan Bylsma was “visibly annoyed” by Foligno’s comments.

“We’re talking about a player that bumped into our goalie three times,” Bylsma said. “With the score 5-1 and intentionally going into our goalie, he can expect more than Sidney Crosby coming at him and talking to him during the game. That’s how we feel about those situations. He was in our net falling over our goalie, and I don’t think there was any question about the intent.”

Crosby distinguishes himself as a star player who frequently goes into the dirty areas; some might even say that he feeds off of contact. Of course, with that commitment comes a physical toll and plenty of feisty moments. The Penguins star hasn’t always handled those situations in an ideal way and even Bylsma would likely admit that his response to Foligno wasn’t perfect.

That being said, Crosby remains a big target. In an age in which enforcers are simply too big of a liability to regularly protect those marquee talents, the Crosbys of the world must stand up for themselves every now and then.

In future incidents, it would be nice if his elbows aren’t involved like they were with Foligno, though.

1. carol6645 - Nov 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Bylsma has it. Foligno was agitating with dirty plays all nite long. In reality Crosby gave him a love tap to warn him to stay away from hitting Fleury!
    No need to discuss it further.
    Tonite they win over the Canadiens after back to back games and goals that didn’t count!
    Letang gets hurt from a BIG hit (not a little Crosby elbow hit).
    Cary Price is wonderful and certainly a favorite goalie to me in the NHL but turn about IS fair play! They battle to the very end.
    The comeback kids did it again!!! Yahoo!!

Carol

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carol Mitchell
    Date: November 14, 2011 11:16:23 AM EST
    To: “tsn.ca”
    Subject: Lucic and hit on Miller

Since when is a goalie fair game for an illegal hit? That hit is what Shanahan is doing such a great job stopping with players. Hockey has never looked better.

Hockey is great but that hit literally made me feel pain. Miller just fell over as if he had passes out with his arms folded. We all saw!

Lucic is an irresponsible player. He should be out until Ryan Miller comes back healthy! If he never comes back neither should Milan Lucic!

We are FANS! We don’t all have like opinions but they count big time.
    Outraged over hit on goaltender Ryan Miller and the Penguins are my team!

Carol in Halifax
    Ps I have emailed Lucic and the Sabres. Have never been so upset with an incident!
    This is a goalie. (not a big one at that!). Gutless plus more for Lucic!
    Thanks!
    Carol

• thesportsnetworkcanada - Nov 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM

From: “tsn.ca”
      Date: November 14, 2011 11:16:23 AM EST
      To: Carol Mitchell
      Subject: Lucic and hit on Miller

Dear Carol in Halifax,

We would be more happy to suspend Lucic had he actually made contact in the crease. However, Ryan Miller was in the faceoff circle. This is why he was not.

As to your suggestion about Milan Lucic being suspended, we would be more than happy to do so. In fact, let’s make this rule retroactive. Seeing as Matt Cooke blatantly took out Marc Savard with an illegal hit, let’s forfeit all Penguin’s games as well as suspend Mr. Cooke indefinitely until Savard’s return. As you say, fair is fair.

Sincerely,

TSN.CA

P.S. Whining about someone else being gutless when you root for a team that employs Matt Cooke is a wholly different level of hypocritical. It is of my understanding that you really do not understand hockey, so this may be a bit understandable. I hope you can find time to actually learn the various rules and by-laws of the NHL in order to stop filling my inbox with needless spam. Good day.

2. 8man - Nov 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I don’t like Pittsburgh.

• tk1966 - Nov 26, 2011 at 11:03 PM

If you think anyone really cares, you have an overinflated opinion of yourself

3. carol6645 - Nov 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Wow! I have a list of comments that shouldn’t be there plus my name NBC!!!!! They are old comments and still stand but the rest doesn’t belong there!!

4. carol6645 - Nov 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I DON’T LIKE YOU 8MAN!!! I don’t like the BOSTON BRUINS!
    There are GOOD hard playing teams out there!!!

5. carol6645 - Nov 26, 2011 at 11:21 PM

This was no plan of mine. It just happened somehow tonite!
    I completely agree Matt Cooke did a terrible thing! At that time I had nowhere to air it! However TSN I do not consider what is happening here tonite to be PROFESSIONAL on your part!
    This is in full display for the public to see!!!
    No! Not an expert on hockey as you are but I’ve watched hockey closely all my life and married to a hockey and baseball player I certainly know something about the inner and outer workings of these sports!
    This needs to be dealt with much better than this!!

• somekat - Dec 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Your husband plays hockey and baseball? Is he the white Bo Jackson?

NHL rules may differ slightly from your husbands beer league rules

6. carol6645 - Nov 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM

TSN.CA Whoever wrote this most unkind message tonite is gutless! Hiding behind a big name station you don’t even give me a name to contact! Makes it simple for you doesn’t it?
    From now on I will be careful who I trust. This should be on our News.
    Paul Hallingsworth does work for you so he will be my next contact to get to the bottom of this!
    I just enjoy trading comments and reading them. I don’t get paid for being what I’m not — a PROFESSIONAL BROADCASTER — nasty at that you are!

7. carol6645 - Nov 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I fill your INBOX with useless spam???
    I never contacted you! Period.

8. govtminion - Nov 27, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Wow… ok…

Can I ask what this part means, Carol?

“Also Tim Thomas spends most of his time outside his net by a mile half the time. No one has even tried to kill him yet! Their team needs to learn the rules!”

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but are you suggesting that someone needs to try knocking Thomas out?

• reuben4boston - Nov 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I may be a bit biased, but people haven’t been afraid to hit Thomas when he leaves the net. Look at the stuff that happened in last years finals. I think this just shows this “Carol” poster is completely delusional.

• reuben4boston - Nov 27, 2011 at 12:45 AM

And I’ll add, if Thomas left the net as far as he (Miller) did, I would fully expect him to get laid out. I’m saddened that one of the U.S.’s better players is out, but the faceoff circle is a bit far for the goalie to travel with someone bearing down on him.

• govtminion - Nov 27, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I played goal at what we’ll call a much-lower-than-NHL-quality for many years (with a wink)… if I come out of the crease, I know that I should be ready to get hit. The crease is my safe place- if I leave it, I’m just another player. (Truth be told, I kind of enjoyed going behind the net to play the puck sometimes to see if someone wanted to try knocking me over). Same for every NHL goaltender- leave the crease, take the risk.

I’m still sorry Miller got hurt, but he was 15 feet away from home, playing a puck that a very large forward also was trying to play. What did he think was going to happen exactly? Had that been Thomas, Luongo, or any other NHL netminder, the same would have happened.

(The only exception is Rick DiPietro, who still would have been hit, but likely would have exploded into a fine mist when hit like that)

9. carol6645 - Nov 27, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Govtminion or close. I over state myself. I do NOT mean kill. I actually like Tim Thomas a lot. He’s great but he has been all the way down the ice fighting + he is often many feet away from his net.
    Fleury makes me nervous as well. He trips people and wanders everywhere BUT never as much as Thomas. Now after what Lucic did it really scares me what could happen.
    Actually Lucic SO angered me that it has spilled into my comments. He really is the only target.
    Also Matt Cooke had no respect from me! As I saw him lose many games played it was good but I also saw someone changing. If he did anything close to that I would hope he’d be gone for good!
    This is now about my personal info being out there and I never emailed anyone! I contacted the B B’s and Lucic personally they said. I then contacted the Sabres team to express how I felt. The rest of the time every comment has been on this NBC app.
    END of STORY!

• govtminion - Nov 27, 2011 at 9:04 AM

…please don’t take this as rudely as it probably comes across, but… I can’t understand anything you’re saying. I’d like to, but it looks to me like you’re having a very disjointed conversation with yourself. I’m very confused.

10. carol6645 - Nov 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I’m afraid! New to the net. Just learning! Having some fun (I thought).
    That tsn.ca texter upset my sense of security (personal info and comments)!
    Thankfully you calmed me down plus my son who explained how vulnerable we are out here in cyberspace. He KNOWS the Internet like you do.
    Back to hockey. Watched every game between Boston and Vancouver last year and truthfully was over 50 percent for the B’s. Tim Thomas is phenomenal! The players are big and talented. For some reason unknown I don’t understand Luongo nor like the Canucks.
    Pittsburg won the Cup and I watched Sidney Crosby come off the helicopter with it. Enjoyed their team-play better than any other team. Detroit is another strong team much like the Bruins, right?
    Because you played hockey and know what a Goalie thinks you look at incidents like Lucic/Miller differently. I felt pain and wanted to cry over what I saw happen.
    If(IF) I keep enjoying making my ‘emotional’ comments it will be because of people like you.
    I need some help learning the ropes on commenting clearly!
    How do I respond to someone like tsn.ca? To me he is an unhappy ignorant snake(person) ready to strike and did last nite at me and at the Penguins. Is this true do you think?
    Can I block him from targeting me? Do I just ignore him?

11. farvefromover - Nov 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Carol talks too much

12. bostonbornandbred - Nov 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Dear carol

No one wants to come on here and see all the novels you are writing on the comment board… Please do us a favor and stop… You’re a hypocrite and your comments are nonsense and annoying…

Signed
    Everyone

Ps… How does it feel rooting for a guy who ended Marc savard’s career??

Pps… After the Lucic hit, Miller stayed in the game. It wasn’t til after his own teammate hit seguin into him that he left… Get your facts straight

13. carol6645 - Nov 27, 2011 at 12:35 PM

And we send you a BIG BEAUTIFUL Christmas tree every year!! :(
    I’ll write a BOOK before it’s over.
    HEY! My hockey comments are my RIGHT! Kris Letang is a Penguin who had the guts to come back and score the winning goal hurt! Montreal is Cary Price. He lost!
    The Pittsburg Penguins play organized hockey. Let’s take the Cup home again!
    Has sportsmanship died? Give me a break. You think you aren’t boring?
    Cory Schneider might gain fans for Canucks. (last comment for now).
    See you Americans later.

14. carol6645 - Nov 27, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I don’t know EVERYONE. I’d like to! I’d even write 1 liners!
    Love Carol in Halifax

15. carol6645 - Nov 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM

GOODBYE!(1 liner )

16. toegoat - Nov 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM

carol is annoying… and PITTSBURGH is spelled with a H

17. danphipps01 - Nov 27, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Dear God. Why are there like sixteen comments from one person who can’t figure out what the “reply” button does? D:

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches