Nov 26, 2011, 8:58 PM EST
The Dallas Stars survived their five-game losing streak, but their recent run of injuries might just do them in. Brenden Morrow is banged up. They’re without a much-needed blueline catalyst in Alex Goligoski. Trevor Daley is being evaluated at the moment and role player Adam Burish is on the shelf. Those injuries might pale in comparison to the one that happened tonight, though.
Workhorse goalie Kari Lehtonen won’t be back during Saturday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes after suffering a lower-body injury that might just be a groin problem. Defending Big D explained that Lehtonen went down after “stretching out in a split-legged position,” which makes me think that a groin pull or tear could be the issue. (An Associated Press report reveals that it might be a right knee injury. Either way, it’s a big part of him making saves, so hopefully it’s a short-term thing.)
The fact that Lehtonen was playing both games in a back-to-back set that included travel shows how much the Stars lean on their goalie. Such an injury is a worry with just about any netminder, but for someone with a history of problems like Lehtonen, the concerns double. Throw that on top of the fact that the Stars are losing players at a near Buffalo Sabres-like pace and things could get a little dicey in Dallas.
Hopefully this is just a minor problem, though. Keep an eye on PHT for updates.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)