Nov 26, 2011, 8:58 PM EST
The Dallas Stars survived their five-game losing streak, but their recent run of injuries might just do them in. Brenden Morrow is banged up. They’re without a much-needed blueline catalyst in Alex Goligoski. Trevor Daley is being evaluated at the moment and role player Adam Burish is on the shelf. Those injuries might pale in comparison to the one that happened tonight, though.
Workhorse goalie Kari Lehtonen won’t be back during Saturday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes after suffering a lower-body injury that might just be a groin problem. Defending Big D explained that Lehtonen went down after “stretching out in a split-legged position,” which makes me think that a groin pull or tear could be the issue. (An Associated Press report reveals that it might be a right knee injury. Either way, it’s a big part of him making saves, so hopefully it’s a short-term thing.)
The fact that Lehtonen was playing both games in a back-to-back set that included travel shows how much the Stars lean on their goalie. Such an injury is a worry with just about any netminder, but for someone with a history of problems like Lehtonen, the concerns double. Throw that on top of the fact that the Stars are losing players at a near Buffalo Sabres-like pace and things could get a little dicey in Dallas.
Hopefully this is just a minor problem, though. Keep an eye on PHT for updates.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)