Nov 26, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Islanders forward Nino Niederreiter is set to be a healthy scratch again today making it four games in a row the 19 year-old rookie has gotten to hang out in the press box. Benching a kid that young without an injury being given as the reason starts to arouse suspicion as to what’s going on.
Katie Strang of ESPN New York digs in wondering if perhaps Niederreiter is destined to be sent back to junior hockey. After all, Niederreiter has only played in three games this year so he’s still eligible to go back, but Isles GM Garth Snow says he’s not going back.
Some think that something else is afoot here, however. Kevin Schultz of Islanders Point Break thinks that something else a bit bigger is going on with Nino. Schultz says that there’s no good reason for making Niederreiter a healthy scratch unless there’s something else going on behind the scenes. Meanwhile, the New York Times’ Chris Botta tweets that Niederreiter’s benching could just be part of a cost-cutting move for the Isles.
One thing’s for sure, Niederreiter is part of the Islanders’ future one way or another and keeping a talented kid on the bench while the team stinks out loud on the ice and can’t score doesn’t make much sense. If he’s hurt again (he spent a month on the shelf with a groin injury) the Isles should say so. If there’s something else going on here though, leaving everyone to speculate does more harm than good.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 0
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)