Nov 26, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby came into his first road game of the season with most of the hype, which isn’t surprising considering his connection to the Montreal Canadiens. A different Pittsburgh Penguins All-Star ended up being the focal point, though, as Saturday proved to be Kris Letang‘s night.
The first major moment came when Max Pacioretty likely broke Letang’s nose with a hit that is almost certain to get a look from Brendan Shanahan. (“Dr. Mark Recchi” will likely smirk when he hears that Pacioretty finds himself on the other side of a controversial check.)
That happened in the third period, but as wobbly as Letang looked after bleeding all over the ice, the telegenic defenseman got his revenge in overtime. Habs fans will likely complain that the play should have been whistled dead, but Letang snatched a puck from underneath Carey Price and fired it into Montreal’s net, giving Pittsburgh a 4-3 win.
In other words, the game packed plenty of excitement wrapped in controversy. So, let us know how you feel: does Pacioretty deserve a suspension for that check, which wasn’t penalized? If so, how long should he sit? And will he make eye contact with Zdeno Chara at imaginary Controversial Check Club meetings?
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25