Nov 26, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Seeing Jaromir Jagr return to the NHL this season has been fun to see. After all, getting a future Hall Of Famer to come back to the NHL after a few seasons abroad is good for getting the game here some attention. Even better still, Jagr says that his comeback this season won’t just be a one year thing.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio gets the word from Jagr that while he’s not talking about a contract extension with the Flyers as of yet, things are going well enough in his return to action that he’s not even contemplating being done with hockey after this season. Jagr says that being a mentor to younger players and the thrill of the playoff chase in the NHL are things he can’t just give up so easily.
After all, at 39 years-old you couldn’t blame Jagr if he wanted to hang it up after coming back this season but with the success of other 40+ year-old players like Teemu Selanne and Nicklas Lidstrom, you can’t blame Jagr at all for thinking big. It’s pretty clear that he can still play and play very well in spite of his age.
Of course, that choice to keep playing could all hinge upon his health or perhaps even the Flyers winning a Stanley Cup. For now though, we’ll celebrate the fact that Jagr won’t just be done with the game after this season.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)