Nov 26, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Seeing Jaromir Jagr return to the NHL this season has been fun to see. After all, getting a future Hall Of Famer to come back to the NHL after a few seasons abroad is good for getting the game here some attention. Even better still, Jagr says that his comeback this season won’t just be a one year thing.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio gets the word from Jagr that while he’s not talking about a contract extension with the Flyers as of yet, things are going well enough in his return to action that he’s not even contemplating being done with hockey after this season. Jagr says that being a mentor to younger players and the thrill of the playoff chase in the NHL are things he can’t just give up so easily.
After all, at 39 years-old you couldn’t blame Jagr if he wanted to hang it up after coming back this season but with the success of other 40+ year-old players like Teemu Selanne and Nicklas Lidstrom, you can’t blame Jagr at all for thinking big. It’s pretty clear that he can still play and play very well in spite of his age.
Of course, that choice to keep playing could all hinge upon his health or perhaps even the Flyers winning a Stanley Cup. For now though, we’ll celebrate the fact that Jagr won’t just be done with the game after this season.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)