Nov 26, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
Injuries are always going to happen during the season, but the Sabres are probably wondering what graveyard the First Niagara Center is built on. Buffalo will be without Robyn Regehr and another unknown forward tonight against Washington thanks to separate injuries.
With those two out of action that brings the Sabres injury tally up to nine players. The list of those out for Buffalo is just mind-boggling: Regehr, Ryan Miller, Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, Brad Boyes, Cody McCormick, Mike Weber, Patrick Kaleta, and the mystery ninth player.
All of a sudden, Buffalo’s blowout loss to Columbus makes a lot more sense.
With that kind of manpower on the sidelines, the Sabres are desperately going to need their remaining top players to carry the load. Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville have been great this year but if ever there was a time for Ville Leino to get his game figured out this is it. Injuries always seem to hurt the Sabres at the worst times, but they’ve never had this many at once.
For now, the Sabres might want to invest in an exorcist or a shaman to help rid them of this injury hex.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)