Nov 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
The 2012 Winter Classic alumni game is going to be loaded with stars from both the Rangers and Flyers as both teams announced the rosters they’ll be using for the game in Philadelphia.
We already knew about Eric Lindros and Bobby Clarke taking part in things for the Flyers, but they’ll also be joined by the likes of Rick Tocchet, Mark Recchi, Brian Propp, John LeClair, Mark Howe, and NBC’s own Jeremy Roenick among a host of other former Flyers from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Sadly, Mikael Renberg won’t be there to bring us the “Legion of Doom” line. Flyers fans can feel better though because the classic line from the Broad Street Bullies years of Clarke, Bill Barber, and Reggie Leach will be there.
For the Rangers, they’ll run out notable stars like Glenn Anderson, Mike Gartner, Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, and Darius Kasparaitis. Some guys you won’t be seeing, however, are Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, and Mike Richter. While we knew Gretzky wouldn’t be playing, Messier and Richter have medical reasons for missing out right now. Messier is getting shoulder surgery but hopes to play while Richter is hoping to be cleared by his doctor.
Hey, maybe John Vanbiesbrouck and Dan Blackburn can help you feel better about the Rangers in goal. Either way, the Rangers are still bringing a bit more name presence to the net for the game as the Flyers will trot out Mark LaForest and Neil Little in goal.
No matter what, the game on December 31 will set the table nicely for the Winter Classic itself. If you want to check out the full roster, NHL.com has you taken care of there.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)