Nov 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
The 2012 Winter Classic alumni game is going to be loaded with stars from both the Rangers and Flyers as both teams announced the rosters they’ll be using for the game in Philadelphia.
We already knew about Eric Lindros and Bobby Clarke taking part in things for the Flyers, but they’ll also be joined by the likes of Rick Tocchet, Mark Recchi, Brian Propp, John LeClair, Mark Howe, and NBC’s own Jeremy Roenick among a host of other former Flyers from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Sadly, Mikael Renberg won’t be there to bring us the “Legion of Doom” line. Flyers fans can feel better though because the classic line from the Broad Street Bullies years of Clarke, Bill Barber, and Reggie Leach will be there.
For the Rangers, they’ll run out notable stars like Glenn Anderson, Mike Gartner, Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, and Darius Kasparaitis. Some guys you won’t be seeing, however, are Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, and Mike Richter. While we knew Gretzky wouldn’t be playing, Messier and Richter have medical reasons for missing out right now. Messier is getting shoulder surgery but hopes to play while Richter is hoping to be cleared by his doctor.
Hey, maybe John Vanbiesbrouck and Dan Blackburn can help you feel better about the Rangers in goal. Either way, the Rangers are still bringing a bit more name presence to the net for the game as the Flyers will trot out Mark LaForest and Neil Little in goal.
No matter what, the game on December 31 will set the table nicely for the Winter Classic itself. If you want to check out the full roster, NHL.com has you taken care of there.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 9
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 40
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)