Nov 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
The 2012 Winter Classic alumni game is going to be loaded with stars from both the Rangers and Flyers as both teams announced the rosters they’ll be using for the game in Philadelphia.
We already knew about Eric Lindros and Bobby Clarke taking part in things for the Flyers, but they’ll also be joined by the likes of Rick Tocchet, Mark Recchi, Brian Propp, John LeClair, Mark Howe, and NBC’s own Jeremy Roenick among a host of other former Flyers from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Sadly, Mikael Renberg won’t be there to bring us the “Legion of Doom” line. Flyers fans can feel better though because the classic line from the Broad Street Bullies years of Clarke, Bill Barber, and Reggie Leach will be there.
For the Rangers, they’ll run out notable stars like Glenn Anderson, Mike Gartner, Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, and Darius Kasparaitis. Some guys you won’t be seeing, however, are Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, and Mike Richter. While we knew Gretzky wouldn’t be playing, Messier and Richter have medical reasons for missing out right now. Messier is getting shoulder surgery but hopes to play while Richter is hoping to be cleared by his doctor.
Hey, maybe John Vanbiesbrouck and Dan Blackburn can help you feel better about the Rangers in goal. Either way, the Rangers are still bringing a bit more name presence to the net for the game as the Flyers will trot out Mark LaForest and Neil Little in goal.
No matter what, the game on December 31 will set the table nicely for the Winter Classic itself. If you want to check out the full roster, NHL.com has you taken care of there.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)