Nov 25, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT
Who knew the first ever Thanksgiving Showdown would come with so much instant drama? The Boston Bruins take their 10-game winning streak back home to take on the Red Wings (1 p.m. ET on NBC) who are looking to nail down their fourth straight win and get back on top of the Central Division.
By now, you know all about what makes the Bruins tick. Tim Thomas locks it all down in goal while Tyler Seguin provides the offensive spark and guys like Milan Lucic and Zdeno Chara bring the physical pain. They also run about three lines of scoring ability at you and can pester and frustrate anyone into madness (hello, Brad Marchand). When you’re a defending Stanley Cup champion you can do these things.
Detroit, meanwhile, has gotten their act together thanks to the play of Jimmy Howard. Howard’s turned into one of the league’s top goalies with a goals against average under 2.00 and a dogged ability to just keep making saves when needed. Howard having Tim Thomas as a role model has helped too. The Wings’ offense has also picked things up of late with Johan Franzen leading the way with 10 goals.
You couldn’t really ask for more though with two of the league’s best teams playing some of the best hockey of late squaring off in an afternoon matinee in front of the whole world. The stage is lit boys, now make it count.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 1
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6