Nov 25, 2011, 9:20 AM EST
Who knew the first ever Thanksgiving Showdown would come with so much instant drama? The Boston Bruins take their 10-game winning streak back home to take on the Red Wings (1 p.m. ET on NBC) who are looking to nail down their fourth straight win and get back on top of the Central Division.
By now, you know all about what makes the Bruins tick. Tim Thomas locks it all down in goal while Tyler Seguin provides the offensive spark and guys like Milan Lucic and Zdeno Chara bring the physical pain. They also run about three lines of scoring ability at you and can pester and frustrate anyone into madness (hello, Brad Marchand). When you’re a defending Stanley Cup champion you can do these things.
Detroit, meanwhile, has gotten their act together thanks to the play of Jimmy Howard. Howard’s turned into one of the league’s top goalies with a goals against average under 2.00 and a dogged ability to just keep making saves when needed. Howard having Tim Thomas as a role model has helped too. The Wings’ offense has also picked things up of late with Johan Franzen leading the way with 10 goals.
You couldn’t really ask for more though with two of the league’s best teams playing some of the best hockey of late squaring off in an afternoon matinee in front of the whole world. The stage is lit boys, now make it count.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 4
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53