Nov 25, 2011, 9:20 AM EST
Who knew the first ever Thanksgiving Showdown would come with so much instant drama? The Boston Bruins take their 10-game winning streak back home to take on the Red Wings (1 p.m. ET on NBC) who are looking to nail down their fourth straight win and get back on top of the Central Division.
By now, you know all about what makes the Bruins tick. Tim Thomas locks it all down in goal while Tyler Seguin provides the offensive spark and guys like Milan Lucic and Zdeno Chara bring the physical pain. They also run about three lines of scoring ability at you and can pester and frustrate anyone into madness (hello, Brad Marchand). When you’re a defending Stanley Cup champion you can do these things.
Detroit, meanwhile, has gotten their act together thanks to the play of Jimmy Howard. Howard’s turned into one of the league’s top goalies with a goals against average under 2.00 and a dogged ability to just keep making saves when needed. Howard having Tim Thomas as a role model has helped too. The Wings’ offense has also picked things up of late with Johan Franzen leading the way with 10 goals.
You couldn’t really ask for more though with two of the league’s best teams playing some of the best hockey of late squaring off in an afternoon matinee in front of the whole world. The stage is lit boys, now make it count.
- Video: Shattenkirk injured, won’t return after collision with Ovechkin 0
- Ovechkin becomes fifth player to start career with 10 straight 30+ goal seasons 0
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 1
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 23
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 14
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28