Nov 25, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT
Who knew the first ever Thanksgiving Showdown would come with so much instant drama? The Boston Bruins take their 10-game winning streak back home to take on the Red Wings (1 p.m. ET on NBC) who are looking to nail down their fourth straight win and get back on top of the Central Division.
By now, you know all about what makes the Bruins tick. Tim Thomas locks it all down in goal while Tyler Seguin provides the offensive spark and guys like Milan Lucic and Zdeno Chara bring the physical pain. They also run about three lines of scoring ability at you and can pester and frustrate anyone into madness (hello, Brad Marchand). When you’re a defending Stanley Cup champion you can do these things.
Detroit, meanwhile, has gotten their act together thanks to the play of Jimmy Howard. Howard’s turned into one of the league’s top goalies with a goals against average under 2.00 and a dogged ability to just keep making saves when needed. Howard having Tim Thomas as a role model has helped too. The Wings’ offense has also picked things up of late with Johan Franzen leading the way with 10 goals.
You couldn’t really ask for more though with two of the league’s best teams playing some of the best hockey of late squaring off in an afternoon matinee in front of the whole world. The stage is lit boys, now make it count.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)