Nov 25, 2011, 8:22 PM EDT
It was only about a week ago when retired NHLer Mark Recchi called the Vancouver Canucks, “the most arrogant team I played against and the most hated team I’ve ever played against,” over the course of his 22-year career. It’s easy for a guy like Recchi to say something like that—he’s made his mark on the league and he’s busy riding into the sunset. But what do some of the current players think about those comments? Are there others that think the Canucks are “arrogant” and “hated?”
It’s tough to know what everyone thinks—but there are some guys on the San Jose Sharks that agreed with his comments.
Sharks power forward responded to questions about Recchi’s comments in anticipation of the Canucks visiting San Jose on Saturday night. “They’ve got certain guys, and they have [Maxim] Lapierre there who is known for that,” the tough Clowe shared to CSN Bay Area. “He’s known to run his mouth and play that sort of game. He doesn’t really like backing that up. You have [Ryan] Kesler and [Alex] Burrows who used to do that a little bit more. Apparently the last year, and last couple of years, they’ve tried to not talk as much and just play.”
So not only did Clowe say that Lapierre is hated, but he challenged his manhood by saying he’s the kind of guy that doesn’t back it up on the ice. Is there a bigger insult to a fellow NHL player?
Rugged teammate Douglas Murray agreed with Clowe’s assertion that it’s only a few guys on the Canucks. When asked if he disagreed with Recchi’s public comments, Murray was clear in his response: “No. No. I don’t think so… it’s not the whole team. It’s certain individuals that give them that reputation. I’m not going to call out names. It’s obvious for anyone that watches the game.”
Yeah, tomorrow night is going to be fun.
Let’s throw this out to the readers for some conversation. Do you think the Canucks are the most “arrogant” or the most “hated” team in the league? The comment section awaits. Go!
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)