Nov 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s not always easy for Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney but he’ll be back in the lineup tonight.
Whitney’s time in Edmonton has been marred by numerous injuries and his start to this season has been no different as he’s played in just four games. All this coming off a season that saw him play just 35 games last year. Whitney’s return couldn’t come at a better time for Edmonton as they’ve been dealing with a host of injuries to their blue line.
As Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, coach Tom Renney is keeping his return in perspective.
“We’ll have to be patient with how we deploy him. We’re at the quarter pole of the season and the guys are all up and running, but Whit isn’t.”
In Whitney’s short time playing last season, he piled up 27 points in those 35 games and having him rejoin an Oilers team that’s scoring goals in bunches, Oilers fans should be all tingly about seeing Whitney come back to anchor their defense. They should enjoy the ride while it lasts as Whitney has had a black cloud hanging over him since joining the Oilers.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 36
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 16
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 58
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1