Nov 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EST
It’s not always easy for Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney but he’ll be back in the lineup tonight.
Whitney’s time in Edmonton has been marred by numerous injuries and his start to this season has been no different as he’s played in just four games. All this coming off a season that saw him play just 35 games last year. Whitney’s return couldn’t come at a better time for Edmonton as they’ve been dealing with a host of injuries to their blue line.
As Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, coach Tom Renney is keeping his return in perspective.
“We’ll have to be patient with how we deploy him. We’re at the quarter pole of the season and the guys are all up and running, but Whit isn’t.”
In Whitney’s short time playing last season, he piled up 27 points in those 35 games and having him rejoin an Oilers team that’s scoring goals in bunches, Oilers fans should be all tingly about seeing Whitney come back to anchor their defense. They should enjoy the ride while it lasts as Whitney has had a black cloud hanging over him since joining the Oilers.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8