Nov 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s not always easy for Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney but he’ll be back in the lineup tonight.
Whitney’s time in Edmonton has been marred by numerous injuries and his start to this season has been no different as he’s played in just four games. All this coming off a season that saw him play just 35 games last year. Whitney’s return couldn’t come at a better time for Edmonton as they’ve been dealing with a host of injuries to their blue line.
As Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, coach Tom Renney is keeping his return in perspective.
“We’ll have to be patient with how we deploy him. We’re at the quarter pole of the season and the guys are all up and running, but Whit isn’t.”
In Whitney’s short time playing last season, he piled up 27 points in those 35 games and having him rejoin an Oilers team that’s scoring goals in bunches, Oilers fans should be all tingly about seeing Whitney come back to anchor their defense. They should enjoy the ride while it lasts as Whitney has had a black cloud hanging over him since joining the Oilers.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)