Nov 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s not always easy for Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney but he’ll be back in the lineup tonight.
Whitney’s time in Edmonton has been marred by numerous injuries and his start to this season has been no different as he’s played in just four games. All this coming off a season that saw him play just 35 games last year. Whitney’s return couldn’t come at a better time for Edmonton as they’ve been dealing with a host of injuries to their blue line.
As Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, coach Tom Renney is keeping his return in perspective.
“We’ll have to be patient with how we deploy him. We’re at the quarter pole of the season and the guys are all up and running, but Whit isn’t.”
In Whitney’s short time playing last season, he piled up 27 points in those 35 games and having him rejoin an Oilers team that’s scoring goals in bunches, Oilers fans should be all tingly about seeing Whitney come back to anchor their defense. They should enjoy the ride while it lasts as Whitney has had a black cloud hanging over him since joining the Oilers.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)