Nov 25, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
If the Dallas Stars hope to get back on the sporting radar in Big D, giving Mike Modano a job might not be a bad idea.
Modano’s name alone harkens back to a time when hockey was more than an afterthought in Texas. And with the Stars under new ownership and attempting to re-forge the strong bond they once had with the community and sponsors, the charismatic American could be a valuable asset in the front office.
He’s certainly not shy about bringing attention to himself.
Interviewed on Sportsnet radio today, Modano was asked about a possible role with the club.
“Just kind of waiting and see how everything works itself out,” he said. “I think [new owner Tom Gaglardi] went out on a couple golf trips with his dad so when he gets back we’ll kind of revisit if I have a future with the Stars as well.”
Modano says he’s kept in touch and shared his thoughts with Gaglardi as the Vancouver businessman pursued the franchise.
The Stars have already re-hired Jim Lites as team president, a position he held from 1993 to 2007, save for a short stint as president and CEO of the Phoenix Coyotes in 2002.
“Having Jim Lites at the helm of the Stars is really an owner’s dream,” Gaglardi said upon being introduced as the new owner. “He knows the market, he loves the game and he is totally committed to putting the Stars back in the rightful position as one of the elite franchises in the National Hockey League. Jim knows what to do. It will take time, but it will get done.”
Modano is similarly optimistic about the future.
“It’s the fourth or fifth biggest market in the U.S. Hockey has worked (in Dallas) in the past, I think it just needs to be mended a little bit and if the performance on the ice continues I think eventually we can get (the fans) back in the building,” he said.
“I certainly hold a lot of love for the town of Dallas, for the fans and for the Dallas Stars.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)