Nov 25, 2011, 10:25 PM EST
John Tavares and Zach Parise aren’t the type of names that NHL fans have grown accustomed to seeing what the league’s disciplinarian hands down a punishment—but they were both in the middle of a player that will cost Tavares a little cash. Tavares was fined $2,500 for his slash in the second period of the Devils 1-0 victory over the Islanders on Friday afternoon.
The two-hand chop wasn’t penalized by the two on-ice officials, but that doesn’t mean Tavares was going to escape the wrath of Brendan Shanahan. Since Tavares could possible make $3.75 million with bonuses this season, the $2,500 fine represents means he’ll lose this salary for about three minutes of play. Seriously—it’s the $2500 fine doesn’t even represent .01% of his salary this season.
That should teach him.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)