Nov 25, 2011, 10:25 PM EST
John Tavares and Zach Parise aren’t the type of names that NHL fans have grown accustomed to seeing what the league’s disciplinarian hands down a punishment—but they were both in the middle of a player that will cost Tavares a little cash. Tavares was fined $2,500 for his slash in the second period of the Devils 1-0 victory over the Islanders on Friday afternoon.
The two-hand chop wasn’t penalized by the two on-ice officials, but that doesn’t mean Tavares was going to escape the wrath of Brendan Shanahan. Since Tavares could possible make $3.75 million with bonuses this season, the $2,500 fine represents means he’ll lose this salary for about three minutes of play. Seriously—it’s the $2500 fine doesn’t even represent .01% of his salary this season.
That should teach him.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)