Nov 25, 2011, 7:53 PM EDT
It looked like the Ducks were about to reach the end of the seemingly bottomless pit that has been the recent rough stretch of games. Going into Friday afternoon’s game, the Ducks had only won two of their last 16 games. But all that looked like it was going to change on Friday. Anaheim started the game with two of their best periods of the season. After the first two periods, the offensively challenged Ducks were leading 4-2 with only 20 minutes left.
Then game the third period. By the time the dust settled, the Blackhawks were skating away with a 6-5 victory and the Ducks were left wondering “what happened?”
It’ only took 1:23 for the Blackhawks to tie the score at 4-4. Then Patrick Sharp scored his third goal of the game for this second career hat trick leading Randy Carlyle to pull Jonas Hiller. The next scene in the nightmare third period was Jonathan Toews scoring his second goal and fifth point of the game to increase the lead to 6-4. You know there’s a lot of scoring with a guy scores a career-high five points and he’s only the third star of the game.
The Ducks finally scored answered with goal in the final seconds, but it was too little too late for the team that desperately could have used a win today. They only have one win in their last 9 games (1-7-1) and only two wins in their last 17 games (2-11-4). A quick look at the standings shows that they are only three points ahead of the hapless Columbus Blue Jackets for last place in the Western Conference.
It’s hard to believe this is the same team that started the season 4-1-0.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)