Nov 25, 2011, 7:53 PM EDT
It looked like the Ducks were about to reach the end of the seemingly bottomless pit that has been the recent rough stretch of games. Going into Friday afternoon’s game, the Ducks had only won two of their last 16 games. But all that looked like it was going to change on Friday. Anaheim started the game with two of their best periods of the season. After the first two periods, the offensively challenged Ducks were leading 4-2 with only 20 minutes left.
Then game the third period. By the time the dust settled, the Blackhawks were skating away with a 6-5 victory and the Ducks were left wondering “what happened?”
It’ only took 1:23 for the Blackhawks to tie the score at 4-4. Then Patrick Sharp scored his third goal of the game for this second career hat trick leading Randy Carlyle to pull Jonas Hiller. The next scene in the nightmare third period was Jonathan Toews scoring his second goal and fifth point of the game to increase the lead to 6-4. You know there’s a lot of scoring with a guy scores a career-high five points and he’s only the third star of the game.
The Ducks finally scored answered with goal in the final seconds, but it was too little too late for the team that desperately could have used a win today. They only have one win in their last 9 games (1-7-1) and only two wins in their last 17 games (2-11-4). A quick look at the standings shows that they are only three points ahead of the hapless Columbus Blue Jackets for last place in the Western Conference.
It’s hard to believe this is the same team that started the season 4-1-0.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)