Nov 25, 2011, 11:59 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins jumped all over the Ottawa Senators early in the first period and cruised to a dominating 6-3 victory at CONSOL Energy Center. It only took about a minute into the game for the Sens to break the seal on the scoring against the Pens. Unfortunately, they had to play the remaining 59 minutes of the game.
It only took 27 seconds for the Penguins to even the score. They were only getting started as they scored four goals in the first 10 minutes of the game. Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby continued his ridiculous return by earning assists on three of the four goals in the first period. Ottawa netminder Craig Anderson gave up the four goals on eight shots before he was sent to the bench for the rest of the game.
The three assists bring Crosby’s season totals to two goals and five assists in only three games since his comeback. The seven points means he has as many points as guys like Patrik Berglund, Rene Bourque, Brett Connolly, Drew Doughty, and RJ Umberger. On top of the points, he has a plus five rating in the early going, he’s winning 65% of his face-offs, and he’s earned four penalties. He even had Sens forward Mike Foligno call him out for delivering an elbow.
Needless to say, he’s been “involved.”
The Penguins will now take their act on the road for the next four games. If the Pens were hoping to lay low, they couldn’t have picked a worse stretch in the schedule over the next week. There will be a fanatical media circus on Saturday night as Crosby and the Pens head to hockey crazed Montreal. As if that wasn’t bad enough, they’ll head from Montreal to Broadway for Tuesday night date against the Rangers in New York.
We wonder if Montreal and New York will have any questions for/about Crosby…
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)