Nov 25, 2011, 11:59 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins jumped all over the Ottawa Senators early in the first period and cruised to a dominating 6-3 victory at CONSOL Energy Center. It only took about a minute into the game for the Sens to break the seal on the scoring against the Pens. Unfortunately, they had to play the remaining 59 minutes of the game.
It only took 27 seconds for the Penguins to even the score. They were only getting started as they scored four goals in the first 10 minutes of the game. Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby continued his ridiculous return by earning assists on three of the four goals in the first period. Ottawa netminder Craig Anderson gave up the four goals on eight shots before he was sent to the bench for the rest of the game.
The three assists bring Crosby’s season totals to two goals and five assists in only three games since his comeback. The seven points means he has as many points as guys like Patrik Berglund, Rene Bourque, Brett Connolly, Drew Doughty, and RJ Umberger. On top of the points, he has a plus five rating in the early going, he’s winning 65% of his face-offs, and he’s earned four penalties. He even had Sens forward Mike Foligno call him out for delivering an elbow.
Needless to say, he’s been “involved.”
The Penguins will now take their act on the road for the next four games. If the Pens were hoping to lay low, they couldn’t have picked a worse stretch in the schedule over the next week. There will be a fanatical media circus on Saturday night as Crosby and the Pens head to hockey crazed Montreal. As if that wasn’t bad enough, they’ll head from Montreal to Broadway for Tuesday night date against the Rangers in New York.
We wonder if Montreal and New York will have any questions for/about Crosby…
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11