Nov 25, 2011, 11:59 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins jumped all over the Ottawa Senators early in the first period and cruised to a dominating 6-3 victory at CONSOL Energy Center. It only took about a minute into the game for the Sens to break the seal on the scoring against the Pens. Unfortunately, they had to play the remaining 59 minutes of the game.
It only took 27 seconds for the Penguins to even the score. They were only getting started as they scored four goals in the first 10 minutes of the game. Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby continued his ridiculous return by earning assists on three of the four goals in the first period. Ottawa netminder Craig Anderson gave up the four goals on eight shots before he was sent to the bench for the rest of the game.
The three assists bring Crosby’s season totals to two goals and five assists in only three games since his comeback. The seven points means he has as many points as guys like Patrik Berglund, Rene Bourque, Brett Connolly, Drew Doughty, and RJ Umberger. On top of the points, he has a plus five rating in the early going, he’s winning 65% of his face-offs, and he’s earned four penalties. He even had Sens forward Mike Foligno call him out for delivering an elbow.
Needless to say, he’s been “involved.”
The Penguins will now take their act on the road for the next four games. If the Pens were hoping to lay low, they couldn’t have picked a worse stretch in the schedule over the next week. There will be a fanatical media circus on Saturday night as Crosby and the Pens head to hockey crazed Montreal. As if that wasn’t bad enough, they’ll head from Montreal to Broadway for Tuesday night date against the Rangers in New York.
We wonder if Montreal and New York will have any questions for/about Crosby…
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)