Nov 25, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Despite declaring himself ready to play, Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo won’t be in net tonight when Vancouver plays Phoenix. Instead, backup Cory Schneider will get his fourth-consecutive start — a decision deemed “a no-brainer” by assistant coach Rick Bowness.
“There are times when you really don’t have to work your brain too hard to make that decision,” Bowness told the Vancouver Sun. “[Schneider] is coming off a 2-1 win and then pitches a shutout. It’s a no-brainer. He’s playing great and he deserves to be right back in there and he is.”
PHT’s covered the Luongo-Schneider situation extensively (which has nothing to do its two newest writers being from Vancouver), and our very own Jason Brough wrote this prior to Vancouver’s 3-0 win over Colorado on Wednesday:
So…what happens if Schneider is brilliant again tonight? The 25-year-old has the superior stats (2.52 GAA, .912 SV%) compared to Luongo (2.97 GAA, .896 SV%). If Vigneault’s “the best players will play” mantra is sincere – and based on his willingness to make big-money defenseman Keith Ballard a healthy scratch, it’s hard to say it’s not – how will he approach his goaltending situation going forward? Does he ride the hot hand while Luongo wears the ball cap on the bench?
Schneider was brilliant against the Avs (stopping all 24 shots for his first shutout of the year), and Vigneault approached his goaltending situation the way many have clamored for. He’s riding Schneider’s hot hand and making Luongo wear the ball cap.
The big question now is what Luongo and his 12-year, $64-million deal think about all this. Upon learning he wouldn’t play against Colorado (after announcing he was healthy) Luongo temporarily halted goalie controversy talk by saying, “we have the luxury of two good goalies here, Schneids is giving me a couple extra practices here to make sure my timing is back.”
But Luongo added he was practicing under the assumption he’d be back in goal Friday against the Coyotes.
Now it’s Friday, and Luongo is back on the pine.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)