Nov 24, 2011, 12:17 PM EST
You’d think that by being Sidney Crosby and trying to sell a house you’d be able to keep your hockey life out of that whole equation. Not so fast, friends.
According to Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Crosby’s efforts to sell his house to Penguins president and CEO David Morehouse had to be cleared by the NHL to make sure that their sale agreement didn’t constitute a violation of the salary cap. The issue there being that Crosby was selling an obviously high priced piece of property to a team executive and if the price of the home was over inflated or too much of a bargain, it could’ve been seen as a way of dancing around the salary cap.
Think about it, Sid sells the house for a big price, the team president has to give him more money or vice versa. Sounds goofy, but it makes sense. Imagine that salary cap penalty though, it’d be like playing a game of Monopoly in real life.
Instead, Crosby sold the home to Morehouse for a measly $2.4 million, just $100,000 more than he paid for it when he bought it. Good thing we didn’t have to get the kids from CapGeek.com involved in the real estate business on this one.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)