Nov 24, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
You’d think that by being Sidney Crosby and trying to sell a house you’d be able to keep your hockey life out of that whole equation. Not so fast, friends.
According to Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Crosby’s efforts to sell his house to Penguins president and CEO David Morehouse had to be cleared by the NHL to make sure that their sale agreement didn’t constitute a violation of the salary cap. The issue there being that Crosby was selling an obviously high priced piece of property to a team executive and if the price of the home was over inflated or too much of a bargain, it could’ve been seen as a way of dancing around the salary cap.
Think about it, Sid sells the house for a big price, the team president has to give him more money or vice versa. Sounds goofy, but it makes sense. Imagine that salary cap penalty though, it’d be like playing a game of Monopoly in real life.
Instead, Crosby sold the home to Morehouse for a measly $2.4 million, just $100,000 more than he paid for it when he bought it. Good thing we didn’t have to get the kids from CapGeek.com involved in the real estate business on this one.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)