Nov 24, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Sadly, Paul Deutsch never got his big break. The 51-year-old goalie who was signed to an amateur contract by the Minnesota Wild participated in last night’s pre-game warm-up, but that’s as far as it went. Matt Hackett arrived just in time to back up Josh Harding versus the Nashville Predators.
“Another goaltending controversy there, if [Deutsch] got in there, who knows,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said after the game, as per the Associated Press.
I can’t be the only one who’s ever thought, if only I got the chance, maybe I could stick. Guaranteed it crossed Deutsch’s mind at least for an instant. Harding goes down, he gets the call, and…just stands on his head. Like in Caddyshack when the bishop has his miracle round.
I hope we get to see one of these emergency backups get in the game at some point, just to see what would happen. Even if he got lit up, at least he could say he played in the show. And I bet the Lightning would give him a look.
Anyway, the Wild won the game and moved into sole possession of first overall in the NHL. Anything’s possible, folks.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63