Nov 24, 2011, 1:04 PM EST
Sadly, Paul Deutsch never got his big break. The 51-year-old goalie who was signed to an amateur contract by the Minnesota Wild participated in last night’s pre-game warm-up, but that’s as far as it went. Matt Hackett arrived just in time to back up Josh Harding versus the Nashville Predators.
“Another goaltending controversy there, if [Deutsch] got in there, who knows,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said after the game, as per the Associated Press.
I can’t be the only one who’s ever thought, if only I got the chance, maybe I could stick. Guaranteed it crossed Deutsch’s mind at least for an instant. Harding goes down, he gets the call, and…just stands on his head. Like in Caddyshack when the bishop has his miracle round.
I hope we get to see one of these emergency backups get in the game at some point, just to see what would happen. Even if he got lit up, at least he could say he played in the show. And I bet the Lightning would give him a look.
Anyway, the Wild won the game and moved into sole possession of first overall in the NHL. Anything’s possible, folks.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32