Nov 24, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Sadly, Paul Deutsch never got his big break. The 51-year-old goalie who was signed to an amateur contract by the Minnesota Wild participated in last night’s pre-game warm-up, but that’s as far as it went. Matt Hackett arrived just in time to back up Josh Harding versus the Nashville Predators.
“Another goaltending controversy there, if [Deutsch] got in there, who knows,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said after the game, as per the Associated Press.
I can’t be the only one who’s ever thought, if only I got the chance, maybe I could stick. Guaranteed it crossed Deutsch’s mind at least for an instant. Harding goes down, he gets the call, and…just stands on his head. Like in Caddyshack when the bishop has his miracle round.
I hope we get to see one of these emergency backups get in the game at some point, just to see what would happen. Even if he got lit up, at least he could say he played in the show. And I bet the Lightning would give him a look.
Anyway, the Wild won the game and moved into sole possession of first overall in the NHL. Anything’s possible, folks.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 0
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7