Nov 24, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Sadly, Paul Deutsch never got his big break. The 51-year-old goalie who was signed to an amateur contract by the Minnesota Wild participated in last night’s pre-game warm-up, but that’s as far as it went. Matt Hackett arrived just in time to back up Josh Harding versus the Nashville Predators.
“Another goaltending controversy there, if [Deutsch] got in there, who knows,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said after the game, as per the Associated Press.
I can’t be the only one who’s ever thought, if only I got the chance, maybe I could stick. Guaranteed it crossed Deutsch’s mind at least for an instant. Harding goes down, he gets the call, and…just stands on his head. Like in Caddyshack when the bishop has his miracle round.
I hope we get to see one of these emergency backups get in the game at some point, just to see what would happen. Even if he got lit up, at least he could say he played in the show. And I bet the Lightning would give him a look.
Anyway, the Wild won the game and moved into sole possession of first overall in the NHL. Anything’s possible, folks.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20