Nov 24, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Sadly, Paul Deutsch never got his big break. The 51-year-old goalie who was signed to an amateur contract by the Minnesota Wild participated in last night’s pre-game warm-up, but that’s as far as it went. Matt Hackett arrived just in time to back up Josh Harding versus the Nashville Predators.
“Another goaltending controversy there, if [Deutsch] got in there, who knows,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said after the game, as per the Associated Press.
I can’t be the only one who’s ever thought, if only I got the chance, maybe I could stick. Guaranteed it crossed Deutsch’s mind at least for an instant. Harding goes down, he gets the call, and…just stands on his head. Like in Caddyshack when the bishop has his miracle round.
I hope we get to see one of these emergency backups get in the game at some point, just to see what would happen. Even if he got lit up, at least he could say he played in the show. And I bet the Lightning would give him a look.
Anyway, the Wild won the game and moved into sole possession of first overall in the NHL. Anything’s possible, folks.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)