Nov 24, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
The Avalanche have lost 11 of their last 14 games after what was a hot start. Their scoring leaders like Paul Stastny and Matt Duchene haven’t been impressive nor consistent. Their defense has been iffy and now they’re not even looking like they’re competing.
Sound bad to you? It sure sounds bad to The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater who cast all of his doubts about what this year’s Avalanche team has going for it after the Avs were shutout 3-0 by Vancouver last night. What is there for this team to do though?
Last year it was rumored that numerous teams were looking into acquiring Stastny but the Avs refused to deal him. With six goals and seven assists this year Stastny hasn’t looked like the all-world star he was supposed to become a couple seasons ago. Erik Johnson was acquired last year in a stunning deal with St. Louis and he’s been merely average.
Does that mean it’s time to fire Joe Sacco and hope that a new coach can change things around? That might be the quick fix to make to try and get things turned around. Sacco’s job has been on the hot seat in seasons past but after seeing the Avs be one of the NHL’s worst teams two of the last three seasons, perhaps this is the right move to make.
One way or another, GM Greg Sherman has some serious decisions to make soon if the Avs don’t get some wins put together. After all, another awful season in Denver won’t bring them another lottery pick to help rebuild the team thanks to the Semyon Varlamov trade.
As the saying goes, it’s time for the Avs to “win or go home.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 4
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)