Nov 24, 2011, 11:25 AM EST
The Avalanche have lost 11 of their last 14 games after what was a hot start. Their scoring leaders like Paul Stastny and Matt Duchene haven’t been impressive nor consistent. Their defense has been iffy and now they’re not even looking like they’re competing.
Sound bad to you? It sure sounds bad to The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater who cast all of his doubts about what this year’s Avalanche team has going for it after the Avs were shutout 3-0 by Vancouver last night. What is there for this team to do though?
Last year it was rumored that numerous teams were looking into acquiring Stastny but the Avs refused to deal him. With six goals and seven assists this year Stastny hasn’t looked like the all-world star he was supposed to become a couple seasons ago. Erik Johnson was acquired last year in a stunning deal with St. Louis and he’s been merely average.
Does that mean it’s time to fire Joe Sacco and hope that a new coach can change things around? That might be the quick fix to make to try and get things turned around. Sacco’s job has been on the hot seat in seasons past but after seeing the Avs be one of the NHL’s worst teams two of the last three seasons, perhaps this is the right move to make.
One way or another, GM Greg Sherman has some serious decisions to make soon if the Avs don’t get some wins put together. After all, another awful season in Denver won’t bring them another lottery pick to help rebuild the team thanks to the Semyon Varlamov trade.
As the saying goes, it’s time for the Avs to “win or go home.”
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 2
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 9
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 11
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 40
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)