Nov 24, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
The Avalanche have lost 11 of their last 14 games after what was a hot start. Their scoring leaders like Paul Stastny and Matt Duchene haven’t been impressive nor consistent. Their defense has been iffy and now they’re not even looking like they’re competing.
Sound bad to you? It sure sounds bad to The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater who cast all of his doubts about what this year’s Avalanche team has going for it after the Avs were shutout 3-0 by Vancouver last night. What is there for this team to do though?
Last year it was rumored that numerous teams were looking into acquiring Stastny but the Avs refused to deal him. With six goals and seven assists this year Stastny hasn’t looked like the all-world star he was supposed to become a couple seasons ago. Erik Johnson was acquired last year in a stunning deal with St. Louis and he’s been merely average.
Does that mean it’s time to fire Joe Sacco and hope that a new coach can change things around? That might be the quick fix to make to try and get things turned around. Sacco’s job has been on the hot seat in seasons past but after seeing the Avs be one of the NHL’s worst teams two of the last three seasons, perhaps this is the right move to make.
One way or another, GM Greg Sherman has some serious decisions to make soon if the Avs don’t get some wins put together. After all, another awful season in Denver won’t bring them another lottery pick to help rebuild the team thanks to the Semyon Varlamov trade.
As the saying goes, it’s time for the Avs to “win or go home.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)