Nov 24, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
When they heard that Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski was fined $7,500 for a celebratory touchdown spike against the Jets, the AHL’s Worcester Sharks jumped into action.
They offered to foot the tab in exchange for a service — Gronkowski spiking a ceremonial puck in advance of their game against Providence on Feb. 24.
“The Sharks would be more than happy to reimburse Gronkowski to spike the puck before a Worcester Sharks game,” said team president Michael A. Mudd. “Sharks fans are Patriots fans and I know that they would enjoy watching Gronkowski show us how to properly spike a puck at center ice and sign some autographs. I hope Rob takes us up on the offer.”
Yesterday, Gronkowski agreed to participate.
“The Sharks are really excited that Gronkowski took us up on our offer,” Mudd said in a press release. “This is a win-win for everyone.”
Well, a win-win for everybody but the Worcester ice crew. Gronkowski’s spikes are violent.
“When Gronk scores — it was like his eighth touchdown of the year — he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball,” Pats QB Tom Brady told NESN. “I love that, because I like the deflated ball. But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)