Nov 24, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
When they heard that Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski was fined $7,500 for a celebratory touchdown spike against the Jets, the AHL’s Worcester Sharks jumped into action.
They offered to foot the tab in exchange for a service — Gronkowski spiking a ceremonial puck in advance of their game against Providence on Feb. 24.
“The Sharks would be more than happy to reimburse Gronkowski to spike the puck before a Worcester Sharks game,” said team president Michael A. Mudd. “Sharks fans are Patriots fans and I know that they would enjoy watching Gronkowski show us how to properly spike a puck at center ice and sign some autographs. I hope Rob takes us up on the offer.”
Yesterday, Gronkowski agreed to participate.
“The Sharks are really excited that Gronkowski took us up on our offer,” Mudd said in a press release. “This is a win-win for everyone.”
Well, a win-win for everybody but the Worcester ice crew. Gronkowski’s spikes are violent.
“When Gronk scores — it was like his eighth touchdown of the year — he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball,” Pats QB Tom Brady told NESN. “I love that, because I like the deflated ball. But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes.”
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)