Nov 24, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
When they heard that Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski was fined $7,500 for a celebratory touchdown spike against the Jets, the AHL’s Worcester Sharks jumped into action.
They offered to foot the tab in exchange for a service — Gronkowski spiking a ceremonial puck in advance of their game against Providence on Feb. 24.
“The Sharks would be more than happy to reimburse Gronkowski to spike the puck before a Worcester Sharks game,” said team president Michael A. Mudd. “Sharks fans are Patriots fans and I know that they would enjoy watching Gronkowski show us how to properly spike a puck at center ice and sign some autographs. I hope Rob takes us up on the offer.”
Yesterday, Gronkowski agreed to participate.
“The Sharks are really excited that Gronkowski took us up on our offer,” Mudd said in a press release. “This is a win-win for everyone.”
Well, a win-win for everybody but the Worcester ice crew. Gronkowski’s spikes are violent.
“When Gronk scores — it was like his eighth touchdown of the year — he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball,” Pats QB Tom Brady told NESN. “I love that, because I like the deflated ball. But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes.”
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (143)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)