Nov 24, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
When they heard that Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski was fined $7,500 for a celebratory touchdown spike against the Jets, the AHL’s Worcester Sharks jumped into action.
They offered to foot the tab in exchange for a service — Gronkowski spiking a ceremonial puck in advance of their game against Providence on Feb. 24.
“The Sharks would be more than happy to reimburse Gronkowski to spike the puck before a Worcester Sharks game,” said team president Michael A. Mudd. “Sharks fans are Patriots fans and I know that they would enjoy watching Gronkowski show us how to properly spike a puck at center ice and sign some autographs. I hope Rob takes us up on the offer.”
Yesterday, Gronkowski agreed to participate.
“The Sharks are really excited that Gronkowski took us up on our offer,” Mudd said in a press release. “This is a win-win for everyone.”
Well, a win-win for everybody but the Worcester ice crew. Gronkowski’s spikes are violent.
“When Gronk scores — it was like his eighth touchdown of the year — he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball,” Pats QB Tom Brady told NESN. “I love that, because I like the deflated ball. But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)