Nov 24, 2011, 12:02 AM EDT
Maybe it was the adrenaline of playing in his first game in 320 days. Maybe it was playing against the struggling Islanders. Maybe it was playing against a 4th string goaltender that had recently been called up from the American Hockey League. Whatever it was, the stars aligned for Sidney Crosby to return to the NHL in a made-for-TV setting. He looked like he hadn’t missed a single day.
Most people thought the true test would come in the following games. How would he play against better competition? How would he play in the second, third, and fourth games back when the adrenaline was gone and the grind started to set in?
That’s when reality sets in. That’s when he doesn’t step on the ice, score four points, and make a mockery of the best league in the world.
Tonight’s 3-2 overtime loss to the St. Louis Blues was the first step for the Penguins playing with Crosby for the rest of the season. On Wednesday night, he played 18:41, had three minor penalties, and finished the game with a plus 1 rating. Not exactly the same storybook comeback game as he had against the Islanders. But then again, most people didn’t expect that on a nightly basis.
The next game for the Penguins is Friday evening against the Senators before they hit the road for a 4-game road trip. By the time the team returns to Pittsburgh for their date against the Boston Bruins on December 5th, we should have a better idea of where Crosby will be for the rest of the season.
Just a hunch, but he’ll probably be pretty good.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 19
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54