Nov 23, 2011, 9:10 AM EDT
It’ll be Sidney Crosby‘s second game back tonight when the Penguins face the St. Louis Blues and after the phenomenal first game back Crosby had, just what could we see for an encore? If you’re thinking it’ll be more of the same, you might wind up being a bit let down.
Crosby and the Penguins going up against the Blues, who we saw lose a hard luck game to the Kings on Versus last night, means we’ll likely see Brian Elliott get the call in goal for St. Louis. Not to dumb things down for you too much here but Brian Elliott is a lot better in goal than Anders Nilsson.
Also factoring into things is the coaching of Ken Hitchcock. If there’s anyone that knows Crosby well by now it’s Hitch. After being an assistant coach on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team that won gold, if anyone’s got an inside line as to how Crosby will work it’ll be Hitchcock. Of course knowing how to work against Crosby and having the personnel to pull it off are two totally different things.
The Blues defense was mostly good in handling the Kings last night aside from two brutal errors by Barrett Jackman. Mistakes like that would open the door for another offensive explosion by the Pens. Don’t bank on that happening again, though.
The storybook way this goes is if Crosby does have another big game. The legend grows and the myth making begins in earnest and we’ll be spoiled by seeing him bust out in two out of two games. Realistically, however, things get toned down a bit tonight. Then again, there’s a reason why they play the games. Let the fun begin once again.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (65)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)