Nov 23, 2011, 9:10 AM EDT
It’ll be Sidney Crosby‘s second game back tonight when the Penguins face the St. Louis Blues and after the phenomenal first game back Crosby had, just what could we see for an encore? If you’re thinking it’ll be more of the same, you might wind up being a bit let down.
Crosby and the Penguins going up against the Blues, who we saw lose a hard luck game to the Kings on Versus last night, means we’ll likely see Brian Elliott get the call in goal for St. Louis. Not to dumb things down for you too much here but Brian Elliott is a lot better in goal than Anders Nilsson.
Also factoring into things is the coaching of Ken Hitchcock. If there’s anyone that knows Crosby well by now it’s Hitch. After being an assistant coach on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team that won gold, if anyone’s got an inside line as to how Crosby will work it’ll be Hitchcock. Of course knowing how to work against Crosby and having the personnel to pull it off are two totally different things.
The Blues defense was mostly good in handling the Kings last night aside from two brutal errors by Barrett Jackman. Mistakes like that would open the door for another offensive explosion by the Pens. Don’t bank on that happening again, though.
The storybook way this goes is if Crosby does have another big game. The legend grows and the myth making begins in earnest and we’ll be spoiled by seeing him bust out in two out of two games. Realistically, however, things get toned down a bit tonight. Then again, there’s a reason why they play the games. Let the fun begin once again.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 43
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M