Nov 23, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
The gift that is Dan Carcillo‘s Twitter account (@CarBombBoom13) keeps on giving. With the Blackhawks in San Jose to take on the Sharks tonight, Carbomb and noted fashionista/backup goalie Ray Emery spent yesterday getting their shop on.
Unfortunately, the Silicon Valley scene wasn’t to their liking:
The mall — one of the largest in Northern California — consists of 240 stores, a 17-outlet food court, nine restaurants and two gigantic department stores in Macy’s and Nordstrom. It doesn’t sound mediocre (hell, there are 26 different places to eat) but then again, I don’t know what constitutes a good mall. Give me Yogen Fruz and a working escalator and I’m golden.
Emery, though…he’s a pretty dapper guy with high mall standards. And his fashion choices suggest he rarely buys off the rack, as evident in this 2007 piece by TSN’s James Duthie:
Emery is sick with a cold, and clearly dying to go to bed (he would go on at length about his love for the afternoon nap, which became abundantly clear last week), but he patiently shows off every item in his wild wardrobe.
It features a rainbow of suits, some 50 pairs of shoes (including a pair of blue and yellow runners he calls his “Alfies”), a dozen watches (he should really set the alarm on every one), a club-hopping shirt for every day of the…century, and bling up the ying-ying. (I have no idea what that that last part means, but it is extremely enjoyable to say aloud.)
“I used to live with him and I’d have to sleep on the couch because his clothes took up the entire other room,” laughs Jason Spezza.
“He takes about three suitcases for one-game road trip,” adds road roommate Mike Comrie. “One time he pulled this zebra blanket out of his suitcase. I didn’t even want to ask what that was for.”
It’s surprising that Carbomb made for the ideal shopping mate. Not to diss his fashion style, but he tends to play it pretty straight when it comes to suits and whatnot:
“Hi, I’m Dan Carcillo, regional branch manager.”
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 17
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31