Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 PM EST
Turris will reportedly practice with the Coyotes this week with his AHL assignment starting Sunday. The 22-year-old agreed to a two-year, $2.8-million contract yesterday following a lengthy negotiation, though a fair bit of speculation remains he’ll be traded.
The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman had an interesting take on the situation in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
What does Kyle Turris’ signing mean? Only that Don Maloney will at least consider trades. Turris still wants a fresh start, but the Coyotes GM isn’t going to grant that wish simply because there’s a new contract. The best thing for Turris to do is show up and play hard. That way, things take care of themselves. Still believe Calgary covets him.
With news that Turris is set to join the Coyotes at practice, it’s safe to assume Maloney doesn’t have a trade agreement in place. But now that Turris is signed, Maloney will be getting lots of offers, if he hasn’t already.
A signed Turris really changes the dynamic. If the Coyotes decide to trade him, they won’t just be trading his rights; they’ll be trading the third overall pick from the 2007 draft with a very affordable contract. Maloney did extremely well in that regard.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)