Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Turris will reportedly practice with the Coyotes this week with his AHL assignment starting Sunday. The 22-year-old agreed to a two-year, $2.8-million contract yesterday following a lengthy negotiation, though a fair bit of speculation remains he’ll be traded.
The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman had an interesting take on the situation in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
What does Kyle Turris’ signing mean? Only that Don Maloney will at least consider trades. Turris still wants a fresh start, but the Coyotes GM isn’t going to grant that wish simply because there’s a new contract. The best thing for Turris to do is show up and play hard. That way, things take care of themselves. Still believe Calgary covets him.
With news that Turris is set to join the Coyotes at practice, it’s safe to assume Maloney doesn’t have a trade agreement in place. But now that Turris is signed, Maloney will be getting lots of offers, if he hasn’t already.
A signed Turris really changes the dynamic. If the Coyotes decide to trade him, they won’t just be trading his rights; they’ll be trading the third overall pick from the 2007 draft with a very affordable contract. Maloney did extremely well in that regard.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)