Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Turris will reportedly practice with the Coyotes this week with his AHL assignment starting Sunday. The 22-year-old agreed to a two-year, $2.8-million contract yesterday following a lengthy negotiation, though a fair bit of speculation remains he’ll be traded.
The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman had an interesting take on the situation in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
What does Kyle Turris’ signing mean? Only that Don Maloney will at least consider trades. Turris still wants a fresh start, but the Coyotes GM isn’t going to grant that wish simply because there’s a new contract. The best thing for Turris to do is show up and play hard. That way, things take care of themselves. Still believe Calgary covets him.
With news that Turris is set to join the Coyotes at practice, it’s safe to assume Maloney doesn’t have a trade agreement in place. But now that Turris is signed, Maloney will be getting lots of offers, if he hasn’t already.
A signed Turris really changes the dynamic. If the Coyotes decide to trade him, they won’t just be trading his rights; they’ll be trading the third overall pick from the 2007 draft with a very affordable contract. Maloney did extremely well in that regard.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 87
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)