Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 PM EST
Turris will reportedly practice with the Coyotes this week with his AHL assignment starting Sunday. The 22-year-old agreed to a two-year, $2.8-million contract yesterday following a lengthy negotiation, though a fair bit of speculation remains he’ll be traded.
The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman had an interesting take on the situation in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
What does Kyle Turris’ signing mean? Only that Don Maloney will at least consider trades. Turris still wants a fresh start, but the Coyotes GM isn’t going to grant that wish simply because there’s a new contract. The best thing for Turris to do is show up and play hard. That way, things take care of themselves. Still believe Calgary covets him.
With news that Turris is set to join the Coyotes at practice, it’s safe to assume Maloney doesn’t have a trade agreement in place. But now that Turris is signed, Maloney will be getting lots of offers, if he hasn’t already.
A signed Turris really changes the dynamic. If the Coyotes decide to trade him, they won’t just be trading his rights; they’ll be trading the third overall pick from the 2007 draft with a very affordable contract. Maloney did extremely well in that regard.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)