Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Turris will reportedly practice with the Coyotes this week with his AHL assignment starting Sunday. The 22-year-old agreed to a two-year, $2.8-million contract yesterday following a lengthy negotiation, though a fair bit of speculation remains he’ll be traded.
The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman had an interesting take on the situation in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
What does Kyle Turris’ signing mean? Only that Don Maloney will at least consider trades. Turris still wants a fresh start, but the Coyotes GM isn’t going to grant that wish simply because there’s a new contract. The best thing for Turris to do is show up and play hard. That way, things take care of themselves. Still believe Calgary covets him.
With news that Turris is set to join the Coyotes at practice, it’s safe to assume Maloney doesn’t have a trade agreement in place. But now that Turris is signed, Maloney will be getting lots of offers, if he hasn’t already.
A signed Turris really changes the dynamic. If the Coyotes decide to trade him, they won’t just be trading his rights; they’ll be trading the third overall pick from the 2007 draft with a very affordable contract. Maloney did extremely well in that regard.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)