Nov 23, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
Times are tough in Calgary right now. The team is ineffective and not enjoying themselves. They recently had a peel-the-paint-off-the-walls team meeting after a 4-1 loss to Columbus in which coach Brent Sutter said the team’s inconsistency is like a bad disease.
Now to make matters worse, according to Steve MacFarlane of the Calgary Sun, Sutter is trying to get Jarome Iginla to change his game and that idea isn’t flying so well with the team captain.
“I understand individuals have done certain things in the past. Maybe I’m asking them to change their game a little bit for the betterment of the team. That’s probably what I’m doing to some degree, yes,” Sutter said during an impassioned scrum. “It’s the only way we’re going to have success.”
All right, so he wants Iginla to be more of a team oriented guy but he has to know that asking Iginla to not to overly bust his hump to help the team get out of their funk is like asking a fish to not breathe underwater. It’s not that simple.
Asking Iginla to try and help bring his teammates along for the ride with him rather than work in spite of them makes sense, but has he seen who his teammates are? Maybe letting Iginla run roughshod over opponents might work better.
Sutter saying he wants the Flames to do things more like how Detroit or Nashville does it as a team is noble, but they’re a team in need of a lot of help and trying to get Iginla to dumb things down isn’t going to help.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)