Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s return to the New Jersey lineup is drawing closer. The Devils reported this morning that Zajac’s recovery from an Achilles tendon injury is going well and he could be back on the ice practicing in two weeks.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello says that if everything goes well for Zajac he could be back with the team and playing by Christmas. Suffice to say, that’d make a most excellent gift for the Devils to have under the tree.
While Adam Henrique has done nicely to evolve into a potential playmaking center for the Devils, Zajac’s return is something the Devils are eager for. With Jacob Josefson out of commission still for New Jersey, the Devils are rolling with Henrique and Patrik Elias as their top centers. Elias is a better fit on the left wing while Henrique is just a rookie.
Getting Zajac back out there would also prove to be just the thing Zach Parise needs to get his game more in gear. Parise hasn’t been the dominating goal scorer the Devils need to have out there and while he’s second on the team in points, it’s a distant second to Elias. They need more from him to win and getting his running mate in Zajac back should help him immensely.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)