Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Travis Zajac‘s return to the New Jersey lineup is drawing closer. The Devils reported this morning that Zajac’s recovery from an Achilles tendon injury is going well and he could be back on the ice practicing in two weeks.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello says that if everything goes well for Zajac he could be back with the team and playing by Christmas. Suffice to say, that’d make a most excellent gift for the Devils to have under the tree.
While Adam Henrique has done nicely to evolve into a potential playmaking center for the Devils, Zajac’s return is something the Devils are eager for. With Jacob Josefson out of commission still for New Jersey, the Devils are rolling with Henrique and Patrik Elias as their top centers. Elias is a better fit on the left wing while Henrique is just a rookie.
Getting Zajac back out there would also prove to be just the thing Zach Parise needs to get his game more in gear. Parise hasn’t been the dominating goal scorer the Devils need to have out there and while he’s second on the team in points, it’s a distant second to Elias. They need more from him to win and getting his running mate in Zajac back should help him immensely.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 12
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2