Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s return to the New Jersey lineup is drawing closer. The Devils reported this morning that Zajac’s recovery from an Achilles tendon injury is going well and he could be back on the ice practicing in two weeks.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello says that if everything goes well for Zajac he could be back with the team and playing by Christmas. Suffice to say, that’d make a most excellent gift for the Devils to have under the tree.
While Adam Henrique has done nicely to evolve into a potential playmaking center for the Devils, Zajac’s return is something the Devils are eager for. With Jacob Josefson out of commission still for New Jersey, the Devils are rolling with Henrique and Patrik Elias as their top centers. Elias is a better fit on the left wing while Henrique is just a rookie.
Getting Zajac back out there would also prove to be just the thing Zach Parise needs to get his game more in gear. Parise hasn’t been the dominating goal scorer the Devils need to have out there and while he’s second on the team in points, it’s a distant second to Elias. They need more from him to win and getting his running mate in Zajac back should help him immensely.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)