Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s return to the New Jersey lineup is drawing closer. The Devils reported this morning that Zajac’s recovery from an Achilles tendon injury is going well and he could be back on the ice practicing in two weeks.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello says that if everything goes well for Zajac he could be back with the team and playing by Christmas. Suffice to say, that’d make a most excellent gift for the Devils to have under the tree.
While Adam Henrique has done nicely to evolve into a potential playmaking center for the Devils, Zajac’s return is something the Devils are eager for. With Jacob Josefson out of commission still for New Jersey, the Devils are rolling with Henrique and Patrik Elias as their top centers. Elias is a better fit on the left wing while Henrique is just a rookie.
Getting Zajac back out there would also prove to be just the thing Zach Parise needs to get his game more in gear. Parise hasn’t been the dominating goal scorer the Devils need to have out there and while he’s second on the team in points, it’s a distant second to Elias. They need more from him to win and getting his running mate in Zajac back should help him immensely.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)