Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s return to the New Jersey lineup is drawing closer. The Devils reported this morning that Zajac’s recovery from an Achilles tendon injury is going well and he could be back on the ice practicing in two weeks.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello says that if everything goes well for Zajac he could be back with the team and playing by Christmas. Suffice to say, that’d make a most excellent gift for the Devils to have under the tree.
While Adam Henrique has done nicely to evolve into a potential playmaking center for the Devils, Zajac’s return is something the Devils are eager for. With Jacob Josefson out of commission still for New Jersey, the Devils are rolling with Henrique and Patrik Elias as their top centers. Elias is a better fit on the left wing while Henrique is just a rookie.
Getting Zajac back out there would also prove to be just the thing Zach Parise needs to get his game more in gear. Parise hasn’t been the dominating goal scorer the Devils need to have out there and while he’s second on the team in points, it’s a distant second to Elias. They need more from him to win and getting his running mate in Zajac back should help him immensely.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)