Nov 23, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Last year, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman fixed his goaltending problem by acquiring Dwayne Roloson.
This year, his goaltending problem might be Dwayne Roloson.
The 42-year-old netminder was yanked yet again in last night’s 7-1 loss to Toronto. Roloson allowed six goals on 21 shots before being pulled in the third period and has now allowed 10 goals in his past two starts (and four or more in a game eight times this year) — raising major concerns that after years of dodging, Roloson has finally been caught by Father Time.
So, time to make a trade?
Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune suggested as much today on Twitter. “Amidst all the goaltending talk circulating, and for good reason, if (a big IF) Yzerman makes a move for a goalie it’d be for a [Jonathan] Bernier-type.”
By Bernier-type, Erlendsson was talking about a high-quality youngster currently behind an entrenched No. 1 — Cory Schneider in Vancouver, Tuukka Rask in Boston or Josh Harding in Minnesota, for example.
Do note that head coach Guy Boucher has refused to throw Rolo under the bus. He put last night’s debacle on defensive mistakes and refrained from criticizing the goaltending. If Boucher’s displeased with the Roloson/Mathieu Garon duo and is seeking change, he’s been remarkably tight-lipped.
But trading for a goalie wouldn’t be just about the present — there’s the future to consider as well. Roloson’s 42, Garon is 33 and neither is signed past 2013. The Lightning do have goalie prospects in the system (Dustin Tokarski, Jaroslav Janus) but none considered blue-chip. Yzerman also has potential pieces to move (Carter Ashton, Dana Tyrell) and an extra second-round pick at the 2012 Entry Draft from the Andrej-Meszaros-to-Philly trade.
And hey, there is the current season to consider. Tampa is on pace to allow 275 goals this year, way up from last year’s total of 234. You can pin some of that on lackluster defense, but a lot of it has to do with shoddy goaltending.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)