Nov 23, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Last year, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman fixed his goaltending problem by acquiring Dwayne Roloson.
This year, his goaltending problem might be Dwayne Roloson.
The 42-year-old netminder was yanked yet again in last night’s 7-1 loss to Toronto. Roloson allowed six goals on 21 shots before being pulled in the third period and has now allowed 10 goals in his past two starts (and four or more in a game eight times this year) — raising major concerns that after years of dodging, Roloson has finally been caught by Father Time.
So, time to make a trade?
Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune suggested as much today on Twitter. “Amidst all the goaltending talk circulating, and for good reason, if (a big IF) Yzerman makes a move for a goalie it’d be for a [Jonathan] Bernier-type.”
By Bernier-type, Erlendsson was talking about a high-quality youngster currently behind an entrenched No. 1 — Cory Schneider in Vancouver, Tuukka Rask in Boston or Josh Harding in Minnesota, for example.
Do note that head coach Guy Boucher has refused to throw Rolo under the bus. He put last night’s debacle on defensive mistakes and refrained from criticizing the goaltending. If Boucher’s displeased with the Roloson/Mathieu Garon duo and is seeking change, he’s been remarkably tight-lipped.
But trading for a goalie wouldn’t be just about the present — there’s the future to consider as well. Roloson’s 42, Garon is 33 and neither is signed past 2013. The Lightning do have goalie prospects in the system (Dustin Tokarski, Jaroslav Janus) but none considered blue-chip. Yzerman also has potential pieces to move (Carter Ashton, Dana Tyrell) and an extra second-round pick at the 2012 Entry Draft from the Andrej-Meszaros-to-Philly trade.
And hey, there is the current season to consider. Tampa is on pace to allow 275 goals this year, way up from last year’s total of 234. You can pin some of that on lackluster defense, but a lot of it has to do with shoddy goaltending.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (39)