Nov 23, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
PHT Oddsmaker will be a regular feature where we set pretend odds and pretend to gamble on them. If you’d like to bet real money, meet us in the alley and we’ll talk.
Total penalty minutes in tonight’s Buffalo-Boston game (Over/under 69.5)
The Sabres have to make a physical statement. Failing to respond is not an option. The bare minimum would be for one of them to challenge Milan Lucic to a fight. However, I have a hard time believing that will be it. Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff racked up over 1,200 PIM in his NHL career. He must’ve been absolutely mortified by his team’s indifference 11 days ago. The coach will expect a response tonight. The fans will expect a response tonight. Forget all this talk about the Sabres being a soft team. They’re still hockey players. I’m predicting multiple fights and misconducts. Take the over.
Odds Sidney Crosby wins the Hart Trophy (+800)
Earlier this week, an online sports book was offering these odds for real. They’ve since been pulled from the board. Probably because everyone hammered them. Crosby could easily win the Hart. First of all, he’s really good and there’s three quarters of a season left. Secondly, who else is going to win it? Phil Kessel? You’ll be excused for doubting he can stay Hart-worthy all season. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the Hart Trophy is voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association. With all the attention concussions have been receiving in the media, if Crosby can come back and dominate like he’s done in the past, well, that’s a tempting sentimental vote right there. Will Crosby win the Hart? Probably not. Is 8/1 enough to make the risk worthwhile? Absolutely.
Goals for Alex Ovechkin in 2011-12 (Over/under 32.5)
He scored 32 last season, thus the line. At the moment he’s on pace for 30. I’ll take the over though. The reason being, if Ovechkin continues to struggle, a coaching change becomes even more likely. And if a coaching change occurs, the new guy won’t be playing Ovechkin 18 minutes a game. Chances are he’ll let No. 8 off his leash and let him do his thing. Obviously there’s a chance Bruce Boudreau will survive and Ovechkin will keep playing the way he’s playing. It’s just hard to bet Ovi can’t score 26 goals in his next 63 games.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)