Nov 23, 2011, 9:53 PM EDT
The hope was that Jaromir Jagr could use the New York Islanders as a nice way to ease himself back into the NHL schedule after a couple games out with a groin injury. But the Islanders would have none of that. Instead of thriving in his return, Jagr suffered a lower body injury early in the 2nd period and subsequently headed back to the locker room. Randy Miller reports that he was hurt on a rush along the left wing boards; we’re unsure if he aggravated the recovering groin or if this is a brand new lower-body injury. He didn’t return to the game.
This isn’t anything new for Jagr. It was less than a week ago when he was forced to leave the contest against the Coyotes. Since last Thursday, the Flyers have been forced to play without their offseason acquisition for the last two games. The early returns weren’t good as they lost both the struggling Winnipeg Jets and slumping Carolina Hurricanes.
The bright side for the Flyers is they were able to escape Long Island with an overtime victory. Still, fans and media will wait for any update on Jagr’s status. Beat writer San Carchidi already speculated that Jagr is doubtful for the Flyers next game in Montreal on Friday afternoon.
As usual, we’ll keep you updated as we received any updates.
Update (11:35 EST): Jagr aggravated his groin pull and will miss the next two games.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)